1. Tease them about their broken English, but at the same time help them out. (they are usually open to improving their english so if you help them out it's DHV) This you can do the instant that you hear them say something akward. and definetly throw in some kino.
Me: So you have class now
HB: Yes in 15 mintues, but I have to go to the computer lab. I have to go take something out.
Me: you mean print something out?
HB: I'm sorry that is what I meant. Smiles
Me: It's ok you are doing pretty well. (At this point I gave her a hug)
2. Ask them to teach you some words or phrases. Generally I ask the most nessecary ones. Girls, beer, bathroom, food. You can attempt to try and say the words and they may be impressed at how quickly you pick it up. Or you may fuck it up, purposely(cocky-funny) or not, and they may make fun of you. But it is all in good fun because you can turn it around on them and it makes for a good conversation.
3. Make fun of their names. Today I was talking to some Swedish girls and they spoke English well. They were 2 8's and I negged the one sitting next to me from the get go. She couldn't stop laughing. Anyway, I asked her what her last name is and I couldn't understand? I asked her to repeat it a couple of times and then I finally said "sounds like a disease." The HB next to her busted up laughing as did everyone else sitting at the table. She didn't hear what I said, so I said it again and she couldn't stop laughing.
4. Neg their style/clothes and how different it is. You can do a type of ladder/raise the bar technique by telling her some of her stuff is wack but some is unique and stylish. *Since I see these girls on a weekly/daily basis I neg them if I see them wearing the same stuff.
5. Mention something about their culture/country that most people probably don't know. Obviously you need to have some knowledge of history/geography/customs which for me is not a problem but it might be for some. It is a simple way to DHV.
6. The most important is to be cocky-funny throughout all of these. If you do any of these in anything but a CF style or sarcasticly, the outcome may not be good.
Of what you do, say and think." -Buddha
Rythms wrote: 5. Mention something about their culture/country that most people probably don't know. Obviously you need to have some knowledge of history/geography/customs which for me is not a problem but it might be for some. It is a simple way to DHV.
Having been a foreign exchange student I think this is a really cool approach. There´s plenty of cool things to bring up, for instance their crazy current King Carl Gustav, ABBA, Swedish conservative-christian-closed-fascist-folksinger Carola, their history of neutrality in armed conflict (all though just knowing the basics like capital, population etc will be intriguing enough). I don´t know if there´s help in any of this, but I´ll post it anyway.
Interesting recent fact: The minister of commerce in Sweden had to resign because of possible fraud and black labour. The minister of Cultural Affairs had to resign on account of several matters. This happened earlier this year, both within ten days after the newly elected government took office.
I´m Scandinavian myself, though not Swedish.