Mental Illness and Psychological Disorders

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Miscellaneous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:10 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

So, because of how much you all have helped me in my PUA progression - i want to give back - and i feel i can do more than just help those PUA that are less experienced than me.

I feel like the point of a community is to help where/when/however u can. I urge others to do the same - what are u good at? Starbuck helped me in the fitness thread - he knows more about that than i do. I would like to offer my expert knowlege of another aspect of life.

I am a psychologist in training and am well versed (years) in the assessment and SPAM of various psychological disorders (OCD, depression, social phobia, specific phobias, eating disorders, alcohol/substance dependence/abuse etc.). This is my job. It will be my career. In terms of MM - this is what i repeat every day- it helps define who i am.

So, if you or someone u know is suffering from one of these disorders, feel free to PM and I'm sure I can help (advice, ideas, books, SPAM advice) - or at least point u in the right direction.

And no i do not (yet) have my PhD or MD. I am working on that. So do not use me as a substitiute for professional SPAM. However, I do know A LOT - and have already helped several people on this site (thanx to u guys for making me realize i can offer more to the community than help with women).

When reading many newbie AA posts - i sometimes wonder if some of u actually are suffering from Social Phobia, which is a diagnosable mental illness - and this illness, like AA can be cured, but is more severe.
Depression is also something i worry about on this site. Many of you are looking for ways to improve your life - and sometimes i wonder if there is actually something more going on.

anyways im starting to ramble - but i figured id just put it out there to everyone that i want to offer this to anyone who may need it. If i help one more person due to this post - it'll be worth it.

cheers

ACE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:46 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

iv been getting a few questions about Social Phobia, which i definately expected on this site

Social Phobia is a severe diagnosable psychological disorder. This is not to be confused with approach anxiety, even severe approach anxiety is not the same.

Here are the diagnostic criteria that i use with patients, this is straight from the DSM.

A. A marked and persistent fear of one or more social and performance situations in which the person is exposed to unfamiliar people or to possible scrutiny by others. The individual fears that he or she will act in a way (or show anxiety symptoms) that will be humiliating or embarrassing. Note: In children, there must be evidence of the capacity for age-appropriate social relationships with familiar people and the anxiety must occur in peer settings, not just in interactions with adults.

B. Exposure to the feared social situation almost invariably provokes anxiety, which may take the form of a situationally bound or predisoposed Panic Attack. Note: In children, the anxiety may be expressed by crying, tantrums, freezing, or shrinking from social situations with unfamiliar people.

C. The person recognizes that the fear is excessive or unreasonable. Note: In children, this feature may be absent

D. The feared social or performance situation are avoided or else are endured with intense anxiety or distress

E. The avoidance, anxious anticipation, or distress in the feared social or performance situation(s) interferes significantly with the person's normal routine, occupational (academic) functioning, or social activities or relationships, or there is marked distress about having the phobia.

F. In individuals under age 18 years, the duration is at least 6 months

G. The fear or avoidance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition and is not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., Panic Disorder With or Without Agoraphobia, Separation Anxiety Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, or Schizoid Personality Disorder).

H. If a general medical condition or another mental disorder is present, the fear in Criterion A is unrelated to it, e.g., the fear is not of Stuttering, trembling in Parkinson's disease, or exhibiting abnormal eating behavior in Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa

If you need clarification or explanation of any of these criterion, or if it sounds possible that this may apply to you, PM and I'd be more than happy to discuss anything further.

NOTE: if you are just afraid of talking to females.... this is NOT social phobia.

ACE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:39 pm 

Awesome I'm an undergraduate psych major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Yahoo Messenger: jennly25
AOL: jinx025
Sweet, Im an undergrad psych and socio major/minor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:36 pm 

Quote:
Sweet, Im an undergrad psych and socio major/minor...
haha i was actually thinking about taking on a socio minor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:15 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

AOL: MaximKJ
I think I could help me, my mother has mental Illness its very hard, cus the sick people dont admit it.

I have read phsycology and have couple books home, but this one is real hard you might could help me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:57 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

hey vibe if you have specific questions feel free to pm me

ACE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:46 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Don't be a psych major unless you are quite sure you want to continue your schooling. Psychology is the most popular major in America and one of the lowest for beginning wage. All of the BA/BS psych majors I know are either going into grad school, professional school, or working at Express or Gap.

Take it from me...I got my B.S. in Psych.

in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:46 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

This post was to the wrong thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:45 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

i was diagnosed as bipolar a few years back and i'm medicated and doing fine now. key things i notice is that i do get obsessive/manic but i channel it creatively. i have also found that there are several famous/successful/creative bipolar people out there and that always gives me motivation. a few famous bipolars are: Sting, Peter Gabriel, and Jackson Pollock.

it's not something i share with people on a regular basis (especially when sarging), but have been more open about it in an effort to relieve the condition of it's stigma.

thanks for making yourself available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:04 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

I think I may have less severe social anxiety. It was much worse in high school as I would avoid talking with people on the phone (out of fear), I would avoid sports for fear or embarrassment, conversations in general were a struggle because of my anxiety. I still deal with anxiety in certain situations, but for the most part it's gone away.

BTW, I'm also a psych major. If things work out I'm hoping to go into psychiatry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:45 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Hey,

I'd like to hear your psychologist opinion on Heath Ledger's Joker.

–Mandrake

Ps. I'm not joking.

Pps. No. Seriously. I'm not joking. I'd probably find it interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:09 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

It may seem backwards but I think those with an open mind will hear me out.

I believe that people who suffer from "psychological illness" either want to hang on to that illness for a reason (conciously or unconciously) OR they don't have enough control over their reality to understand that they can rid themselves of the "illness"

To me it just seems absolutely stupid to have a client dwell on negative memories or beliefs and expect this to help them! How does labeling someone as "depressed" or "bi-polar" help them? Let's say that I'm depressed and I don't know why, I may go into SPAM, get put on Prozac and $100,000 and 3 years later learn that I was beat up by my family as a child and I'd repressed it. This is only going to send me deeper into depression! Now I'm poor, old and depressed!

SPAM like this rely on one simple and incredibly stupid idea, that understanding creates a solution. That's like being on a sinking ship and after $100,000 and 3 years learning that there's a hole in the hull.

Why not just treat the client by instantly patching up the hole, or showing them how they can patch their own. That's effective NLP coaching!

To those highly offended by this or idiots who like suing people I'd like to point out that I'm not a medical doctor and I'm not advising you to do anything.

But to those who want to rid themselves of 'Illness' and dive into life without the excuses for their successes or failures then I'd recommend researching some of Richard Bandler's ideas and products.

LoveJunkie

P.S. I have a close family member diagnosed with schizophrenia on medication and I'm in the process of showing them the different options that are there for them. ~LJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:53 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

Quote:
It may seem backwards but I think those with an open mind will hear me out.

I believe that people who suffer from "psychological illness" either want to hang on to that illness for a reason (conciously or unconciously) OR they don't have enough control over their reality to understand that they can rid themselves of the "illness"

To me it just seems absolutely stupid to have a client dwell on negative memories or beliefs and expect this to help them! How does labeling someone as "depressed" or "bi-polar" help them? Let's say that I'm depressed and I don't know why, I may go into SPAM, get put on Prozac and $100,000 and 3 years later learn that I was beat up by my family as a child and I'd repressed it. This is only going to send me deeper into depression! Now I'm poor, old and depressed!

SPAM like this rely on one simple and incredibly stupid idea, that understanding creates a solution. That's like being on a sinking ship and after $100,000 and 3 years learning that there's a hole in the hull.

Why not just treat the client by instantly patching up the hole, or showing them how they can patch their own. That's effective NLP coaching!

To those highly offended by this or idiots who like suing people I'd like to point out that I'm not a medical doctor and I'm not advising you to do anything.

But to those who want to rid themselves of 'Illness' and dive into life without the excuses for their successes or failures then I'd recommend researching some of Richard Bandler's ideas and products.

LoveJunkie

P.S. I have a close family member diagnosed with schizophrenia on medication and I'm in the process of showing them the different options that are there for them. ~LJ
It is all mind. The key is finding and becoming aware of what angle to attack.

If one knows the enemy, and can see the enemy, is it not left to a matter of learning about you enemy 100%, then destroying it 100%?

To utilize a medication to destroy a force for you is no different than putting in a new transmission for a car that's 275,000 miles in, and falling apart at ALL angles.

...except the individual is much simpler to repair than a car.

Psychological disorders are real; the pundit methods for "repressing" the problem arent.

Become aware, and attack the force within. The victor is you; just become the victor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:13 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

sufferring from ocd,depression.
no self confidence left after dissappointments.

what to do.
ı hate nearly all women