I just want to list a few books, videos and whatever that I'd consider to be quite helpful to new guys just discovering this stuff...
1. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
This is one of the oldest, and best self development books of all time. It's not exactly a pick up book, but it'll help you more than you'd expect if you apply it to your daily life and general interactions. It definitely helped me keep women interested in our initial interaction when I first started out.
2. Jason Capital (YouTube)
This guy is like a mixture of RSD Julien, and Adam Lyons. He's like a charming asshole. Where Julien just acts like he hates women and they must seek his approval, Jason is still just as rude... but he doesn't give the impression that he's just a plain dick. He helped me a lot, cause his style is similar to my own.
3. Corey Wayne (YouTube, and an essential book)
He's more about relationships, success and happiness... but he does have some really good basic pick up advice. Applying his material will stop you becoming a one trick pony who can pick up a girl but can't keep her. You can read his ebook for free in the members area of his website, or if you're too lazy to do that you'll find it on a website with no registration required if you Google "Corey Wayne scribd". It's important to read it multiple times like he suggests. Also, the first time you read it, watch each video that he tells you to watch. I'd say his videos are about 20% of the package, with the book being the other 80%
4. Models - Mark Manson (book)
This may sound a little stupid, what I'm about to say: I've never actually read this book cover to cover, but I know that pretty much everybody will tell you that it's the most important material you'll ever get your hands on. Maybe read this multiple times, too.
5. Richard "Gambler" La Ruina (books/articles/videos)
He has plenty of great material, just give it a look. Other similar people to this, that aren't really worth listing, but are still good are: Adam Lyons (old stuff, not new stuff), Simple Pickup (might boost your confidence).
6. RSDTyler (YouTube)
Why do people like to ditch inner game? It's like the leg day of pickup. Just do it. Go watch his videos. It'll help. However, don't become brainwashed... RSD are known for being a bit weird and brainwashing guys into feeling like they always need to buy more material and get better, when in reality most pick up artists give away their best material for free anyway. Just stick to their videos on inner game and you'll benefit massively.
A few more things to remember:
You don't really need to spend anything to become good, and the community is full of people who will try to convince you that you'll never get good without buying their product. They're full of crap and trying to make money. But if you ever manage to get a book for free through a torrent or something, and you like it... don't be a dick, go and buy it to show your appreciation... or at least give a donation of what you consider it to be worth.
No matter how much material you read, one day of actually going out and taking action is more valuable than any book you'll ever read... the books and videos will give you a general idea, but experience will be the best way that you can ever learn. Think of it like a driving test... you can read books and watch videos to study for your theory test, but that's not even half of the work. You'll never be able to drive a car properly just from watching videos. You have to go out and make mistakes that you can learn from. For every hour that you spend watching videos or reading books, try to spend 2 hours going out and gaining experience! Seriously, TAKE ACTION.
I made this thread because it basically contains everything that I wish had been said to me when I first started, to save me having to brush my way through all of the mediocre/bad material and scams out there...