A Body Language Question in General

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Body Language, Voice Tonality and Dress

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:01 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

I had a talk with a man in church yesterday whom I was asking something difficult of, and he seemed to be obfuscating, placing his left hand over his left cheek, and wrapping his right hand around his chest. He was praing my blog, but his body language said he was being duplicitous,m maybe even embarrassed, and awkward.

Can I be more specific?

http://thevanitymirror.com/
(I think I'm provocative in a good way; see if you concur!)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:11 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Quote:
I had a talk with a man in church yesterday whom I was asking something difficult of, and he seemed to be obfuscating, placing his left hand over his left cheek, and wrapping his right hand around his chest. He was praing my blog, but his body language said he was being duplicitous,m maybe even embarrassed, and awkward.

Can I be more specific?
u sure you got the right forum for this question?

im not even sure what you are asking

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:53 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Bit of an odd question, didnt think there were many churchgoers on here.

In general, covering is a bad sign. Chest is a vulnerable area, covering the chest is defensive. Same with the face.

A good technique if you ever wonder what a piece of body language means then mirror it when you get home and see how it feels. Gives a good indicator.

What Every Body Is Saying by Joe Navarro is a great book on body language.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:31 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Quote:
Quote:
I had a talk with a man in church yesterday whom I was asking something difficult of, and he seemed to be obfuscating, placing his left hand over his left cheek, and wrapping his right hand around his chest. He was praising my blog, but his body language said he was being duplicitous,m maybe even embarrassed, and awkward.

Can I be more specific?
u sure you got the right forum for this question?

im not even sure what you are asking
Well, I'm asking what his body language is saying. I think he was hiding out of awkwardness, and his hand over his face reminded me of the one time I ever saw Simon Cowell embarrasssed. It was his left cheek, covered by his left hand, the emotional side. Atypical behavior from an ex-marine cop, if I know anything, let alone him.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:15 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

i never realised covering your chest is bad body language I always cover my chest feeling gains from working out but I am trying to get out of the habit, I just do it sub-consciously but I must make more of an effort in future if it portrays defensive body language.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:35 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Quote:
i never realised covering your chest is bad body language I always cover my chest feeling gains from working out but I am trying to get out of the habit, I just do it sub-consciously but I must make more of an effort in future if it portrays defensive body language.
One of the points Navarro makes in the book is that no single action means anything, stuff is only significant if the person doing it wouldn't normally do it. If your habit is to cover your chest then it doesn't mean anything. That said, someone would have to know your habits to know it was normal.

Navarro is an ex-cop and interrogator so he's looking at body language from that point of view. His theory is that there are parts of the body that are physically vulnerable, the chest, the abdomen, the neck, the inside of the arms where the blood vessels and tendons are, etc. He says when people are under stress they naturally try to protect these areas. When they are comfortable they expose them. Interestingly he says the most serious is the inner arms and people who make a big effort to hide that part of their bodies often have had really bad shit happen to them.

Brilliant book, great for watching how women are behaving and he's been pretty much bang on in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:12 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

If he felt awkward there are a number of reasons. Maybe it was a sensitive issue you were discussing. More likely he felt odd for some reason and then noticed you feeling odd, looking at his body language and felt so he felt self-concious.

You already knew the answer to your question. But if I switch it on I can get that kind of language from just about anyone. It's not bad if you want it to be that way. It's not bad if your employer is walking on egg shells.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:10 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Oh, he felt odd because what I was asking of him was putting him in an awkward situation, though none that I think unfair. I wasn't trying to pin him down in public, but even so, his body language spoke of embarrassment.. or something.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:04 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

...or he's gay and likes you. No biggie.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:09 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Quote:
Quote:
One of the points Navarro makes in the book is that no single action means anything, stuff is only significant if the person doing it wouldn't normally do it. If your habit is to cover your chest then it doesn't mean anything. That said, someone would have to know your habits to know it was normal.

Navarro is an ex-cop and interrogator so he's looking at body language from that point of view. His theory is that there are parts of the body that are physically vulnerable, the chest, the abdomen, the neck, the inside of the arms where the blood vessels and tendons are, etc. He says when people are under stress they naturally try to protect these areas. When they are comfortable they expose them. Interestingly he says the most serious is the inner arms and people who make a big effort to hide that part of their bodies often have had really bad shit happen to them.

Brilliant book, great for watching how women are behaving and he's been pretty much bang on in my experience.
i've read navarro's book along with some others and have been through specialized interrogation training and i can say that navarro's stuff is very spot on. it has helped me with my career and pick up alot! i would recommend reading the book to anyone. another thing to keep an eye open for is that 1 single body movement or gesture can't tell you much. but look out for clusters (2 or more gestures that happen simultaneously)

the hand over the chest is a defensive sign. but just that one gesture alone isnt enough to interpret if something is going on subconsciously or not

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:35 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Quote:
...or he's gay and likes you. No biggie.

Reasonably certain he's not, moving on...this body language, as mentioned, was atypical of him, and thus my curiosity. Left hand on cheek, left elbow resting on wrapped-around arm. Not quite a cluster, but close.

I expect to see him tomorrow...I'll keep my eyes peeled.