Easy way to mitigate awkward situations.

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Inner Game » Social Shyness & Anxiety

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

If you find yourself getting awkward and going red sometimes, especially when you're getting tooled by some jock type or hot girl, I've found a way to get around this.

Imagine a situation where something embarrassing happens, lets say for instance that you're with a group of friends and then you realize you have a boner. It's really embarrassing so you try to hide it, and in the act of hiding it you draw attention to it. One of the guys in the group notices it and calls you out on it and humiliates you in front of everyone.

When I was younger, this kind of thing happened quite a lot, one of my friends would always detect it if I was trying to hide something. With my body language, or by talking quietly or by looking down and they would always call me out on it and it would get blown up.

To prevent this from happening, all you have to do is draw attention to it, and then drop it. So you would say, "haha look at that guys, I've got a boner." And then leave it, if you over-exaggerate it looks insecure so you just call it out yourself, laugh and be part of the joke and then drop it. This gives a "this is me and I'm proud of it, fuck you" attitude that makes it very difficult for anyone to poke fun at you. Even if they try, they'll look stupid because you'll just laugh along like you're making a joke together.

I like to take this to the extremes because it really helps to create a relaxed SPAM. So if I'm chilling with a girl and I go to the bathroom, instead of going, taking ages and then coming back a little embarrassed... I'll just say, "I'm going for a massive shit, see you in an hour." I'll even do this if I'm not going for a shit. You'll see that they really don't care and you can just unapologetically be you. This doesn't stop you from being clumsy or stupid, but the clumsy and stupid things you do are no longer awkward.

The one exception:
Never say "ooooo this is awkward" during an awkward silence. You'll just look like a dick. Don't call out the awkwardness, just call out things that you do that could result in awkwardness. In those situations, far better to strike up some kind of conversation about some stupid shit that's in your head.

Cheers,

Synergy.