Self-Improvement vs Self-Acceptance

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Inner Game » Beliefs and Confidence Building, Self-Esteem, and General Inner Game

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:41 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

I understand that it is possible to do both, but I don't get how to combine both self-improvement and self-acceptance in real life.

For example - If I don't feel like doing anything all day should I just accept that thats what I felt like? Or if I spend a whole day not doing anything should I feel guilty and use that feeling to promise myself I will do more stuff the next day?

Interested to hear thoughts on this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:23 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

You got it all mixed up my man.

Self improvement STARTS with self-acceptance.

If you say you're going to do something today, and every day you fail to do that, then you have to first
accept the reality that this is what you're doing.

What does accepting mean?

Accepting doesn't mean to give up, to say, "ah well, screw it, I never do anything..."

Accepting means to LOOK THE TRUTH IN THE EYES.

So the truth is that you're a little wanker who sets goals for himself, promises to himself that he'll do
it tomorrow - but when the time comes to do it, you don't.

That is the TRUTH.

What you're doing at the moment is you're not accepting this truth. You're not realising the truth, but you keep
LYING to yourself about it.

Instead, accept it and say to yourself: "I am a fucking bullshiter. I say I'm going to do something tomorrow
and I don't. I just jerk off all day and let my life pass me by..."

And after you accept it like that, you go to work on self-improving yourself.

You ask yourself: "How can I, now that I know I'm a b.s-er do something about it?"

> You read books that would help you understand how to build habit, like the Power of Habit.

> You give your friend 50$ and you tell him what you'll do tomorrow. You tell him that if you don't call him
after you've done it, he can spend that 50$ freely on anything he wants.

> You go to a seminar or a workshop that will help you to achieve your goals and not quit.

Make sense?

So that is the difference between self-improvement and self-acceptance.

Hope this helped,

Phantom

You can try it here Here: New AA Cure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:55 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

Got to have downtime. Going nonstop can wear anyone out. Listen to your gut. Stay on the path though. Don't let laziness become a habit.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:43 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Quote:
I understand that it is possible to do both, but I don't get how to combine both self-improvement and self-acceptance in real life.

For example - If I don't feel like doing anything all day should I just accept that thats what I felt like? Or if I spend a whole day not doing anything should I feel guilty and use that feeling to promise myself I will do more stuff the next day?

Interested to hear thoughts on this.
I can't improve on the advice that's already here, but I will say that your example is describing avoidance and acceptance of that avoidance. It's not a recipe for getting anything done. There's a fine line between beating yourself up to the point where you're demotivated and re-committing to your mission after you've avoided taking action. I suggest not letting "what you feel like doing" dictate your actions. Accept that you don't feel like doing it and then do it anyway. You always have a choice.

Wanna strategize? Let's talk.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:58 am 
PUA Forum Leader

Your not accepting doing nothing. You are accepting the price you pay for doing nothing.