Wristwatches

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Body Language, Voice Tonality and Dress

Post subject: Wristwatches
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I've always loved wristwatches but in a fashion watch sort of sense; they look cool but are of low quality. I also have some funky Soviet era ones which are good conversation pieces but again of poor quality.

I do have a TAG which I got for my 21st birthday but it rarely leaves the house as I'm too scared to damage or lose something so valuable. Plus it has a red strap which I have trouble coordinating with.

I would like to get a timepiece which would receive compliments and draw attention. I don't have $100k to spend on a Patek Philipe and lets face it the Sekonda knockoffs of those types of watches are plain for all to see that they're fake.

I have found that even people who know nothing about watches know a good watch when they see one and it's an immediate DHV to the wearer. As mentioned I like watches for their fashion value but know next to nothing when it comes to the finer points of choosing a good time piece. I have found a couple of eye catching mechanical watches of Asian origin on Ebay and such but I fear they will look tacky in real life.

Does anyone on the forum know about good affordable watches that will draw attention and compliments from HBs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:09 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Try this website for some inspiration, it's the most popular watch forum.

watchuseek forum

Other than that, how much are you looking to spend? If you're looking for something in the $100-$200 price range, check out Invicta. They are supposedly for the most part Swiss Made. Never owned one so can't comment on quality and all else, but they do have some flashy designs that might get you noticed.

One thing I've noticed myself, the more you spend on a watch, generally, the more it will show. The quality of the glass, dial, craftsmanship, just like you said, can be noticed even by the non experts.

Goodluck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:34 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Actually WATCHES can be a real good tool in your game! it's way more cooler if you have a nice wrist watch, if some lady tells you what time it is then you could just show off your slick wrist watch and tell her the time rather than grabbing your mobile phone on your pocket ;)

If money isn't the issue then it's time for you to buy yourself a nice wrist watch.

@Vampire i have a "Raymond Weil Geneve" wrist watch.. it's a luxury watch, the original price was $1,200 US Dollars then it went on SALE then the price was $399.75 .. just find watches that are expensive and on sale, money well spent.

-TheNaturalPlayboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:40 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

exactwatches.com has awesome replicas.

Any Breitling Tourbillion is an instant compliment magnet. I have one and I've never worn it and not had it come up, and it's like 120 USD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:53 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Get a casio G shock they are popular right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

To be honest, I don't really like a lot of those really expensive watches. I tend to buy them on the reasoning that they look like a wrist band I'd wear. I've got two watches - a black leather strap one, and a brown leather strap one. I match them with my outfit, or if they don't really go, then I just wear a normal wrist band, or nothing else.

Personally, I wouldn't go out and spend hundreds (or thousands) on a watch, just because you can boast about it to girls, or on the off chance a girl might think you're loaded because you're wearing an expensive watch. If I liked watches like some collector-types do, then maybe.

But I'd rather wear relatively cheap ones that still look pretty cool, and spend the left over on enjoying myself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:09 pm 
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.stormwatches.com/watches/men ... tAodzA1DIg

They do some awesome watches, I have the MK2 circuit and I have had SO SO SOOO many people ask me what it is and how to tell the time etc. They are about £100, but frankly for something that SHOULD last you years - its not exactly a great expense....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

That MK2 watch is sweet! Definitely a great conversation piece as well!!

To the OP, I have a TAG watch too, it's the chronograph style silver watch with black face, you can buy a different band, in my case I got a black rubber style wrist band by Tag and wear it when I want to be more casual or sporty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

There is little to be said in an otherwise comprehensive book called "Dressing The Man" by Alan Flusser on the subject of wristwatches, but I enjoyed this quote:
Quote:
Fortunately we have moved beyond the Victorian taboo on public displays of a timepiece (a true gentleman's concerns were not supposed to include the passage of time). On the "other hand" the actor Peter O'Toole may have carried things a bit too far. When queried as to why he sported a watch on both wrists he replied "Life is too short to risk wasting precious seconds glancing at the wrong wrist."

Post subject: Re: Wristwatches
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:21 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

I have always been a huge fan of having Wristwatches, I was wondering to get some more of mens designer watches to complete my collection set, Thank you once again for the concern