Upgrading my wardrobe

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Body Language, Voice Tonality and Dress

Post subject: Upgrading my wardrobe
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:15 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Tropical country over here (Singapore), temperature hovers between 23 °C (73.4 °F) and 32 °C (89.6 °F). Relative humidity typical day range in the high 90s in the early morning to around 60% in the mid-afternoon.

That's just for a better idea of how hot it can get around these parts, so blazers and suits are generally not the way to go even if they do look really good. (I don't want to roast)

Right now I wear t-shirts and jeans, which are probably pretty bad fashion-wise (although, lots of teens to middle-aged guys tend to wear shorts in the heat, but then I don't think a PUA should be aiming to look like a regular teen/middle-aged guy..?). How can I upgrade my wardrobe? What kind of shoes should I start looking for?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:02 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Here are some general fashion rules for guys:

- wear (1) something old and worn out with (2) something only slightly worn in with (3) something really new.

- Coordinate your outfits. Find good colors/fabrics/patterns that go well together, and that look good with your skin tone. I'm latino so my skintone is medium and is somewhat ruddy. I can pull off most colors save for pastels and most yellows.

-Vary your style with a polo, short sleeve button-up, or v-neck. JCrew, Ralph Lauren, and Banana Republic have nice duds meant for your age group. Check them out. As far as pants go, you can change things up with (a) buying a pair of darkwash denim (Lucky Jeans is a good standard), or (b) some lightweight chinos or trousers.

-Shoes should match your profession and financial status. Boots if your blue collar, loafers or dress shoes if your white collar, and REALLY expensive dress shoes (like the kind that costs as much as a shitty car) if you're rich.

-Casual shoes can be difficult. I recommend Converse Jack Purcells and Vans chukka shoes, because they're classic. However, another great pair for any dude is a pair of Clarks Desert Boot

-Never wear running shoes in public, or really any sports related shoe. Be wary of sandals too.

-Throw away all of your white socks and buy a few pairs of grey and black instead.

The ultimate lesson of psychoanalysis is that human life is never "just life": we are possessed by the strange drive to enjoy life in excess, attached to a surplus which derails the ordinary run of things.
-Slavoj Zizek

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:04 am 
Dedicated Member

jeans are fairly warm and heavy.

If suits are your idea of what you would like to look like, then adapt that to your climate. A linen suit will look nice and be cool.

maybe ditch the jacket and wear some chinos or linen trousers and a shirt. wear a tie perhaps if you can bear to have something round your neck in such heat.

Chinos are great. wear them unrolled with a shirt and you'll still be nice and cool (temperature wise) and look stylish. Wear them cuffed slightly, sockless, and with a polo shirt and you'll look more casual but still stylish.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:52 am 
New to MPUA Forum

I recently wrote an extessive article for GirlsChase on dressing in warm and hot weathers, you might want to check it out there.