How's my voice? (clips included)

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Body Language, Voice Tonality and Dress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 pm 
Dedicated Member

My voice is a bit high (I think) it's not loud or masculine - sometimes it's raspy, like an old man. Part of it may be due to health issues I had in the pass wreaking my diaphragm but that's over now. The voice is so critical for attraction, I want it to be deep, loud and masculine but it's light instead.

Here are some examples:
http://videobam.com/igaXI
http://videobam.com/eYRFI

How can I get the voice I want?

My journal
confessions-of-a-seducer-journey-to-gre ... 84193.html Online/Offline, Texting & Reports.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:55 pm 
Dedicated Member

Guys?

My journal
confessions-of-a-seducer-journey-to-gre ... 84193.html Online/Offline, Texting & Reports.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:14 am 
Dedicated Member

Note: my diaphragm might hv been weakened from being sick but I don't think that explains the pitch. If someone can share some advice on this I'd really appreciate it.

My journal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:49 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Yahoo Messenger: skylarboone1@yahoo.com
your voice does sound quite raspy and high,no doubt there.
to get rid of the "high" in your voice,gulp water.
it lowers your voice box and allows more resonance to flow through your voice.
im not quite sure if the technique of gulping large amounts of water is safe or permanent,just dont drink to much you will choke :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:02 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey man!

From what I can hear in the first clip it sounds to me like your voice may be seriously damaged, which in all likelihood is caused by your 'wrecked diaphraghm'.

I'm no expert or anything but I have just graduated with a degree in Drama and there are a number of extremely important factors about your voice that every person should know. I am actually seriously considering making a how-to guide on using your voice properly.

First things first, as I haven't written this guide yet I can recommend that you first get a proper medical opinion on your voice, and I'm not talking about a simple general practitioner. Get an expert on the voice and throat to take a close look and be willing to pay a big sum for that. If you do not, you may find your voice irreparably damaged very near to the future.

The voice is an actor's most important tool and you wouldn't believe the extent they go to to make sure it is looked after. If you do want an introduction into voice training, the forerunner and expert on this topic is Cicely Berry. She's well known in the acting community and you'd do good to read her books. I can recommend starting with "Freeing the Natural Voice."

PS: No offense to Skylar, but simply drinking water is not going to change your voice permanently

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:46 pm 
Dedicated Member

Quote:
Hey man!

From what I can hear in the first clip it sounds to me like your voice may be seriously damaged, which in all likelihood is caused by your 'wrecked diaphraghm'.

I'm no expert or anything but I have just graduated with a degree in Drama and there are a number of extremely important factors about your voice that every person should know. I am actually seriously considering making a how-to guide on using your voice properly.

First things first, as I haven't written this guide yet I can recommend that you first get a proper medical opinion on your voice, and I'm not talking about a simple general practitioner. Get an expert on the voice and throat to take a close look and be willing to pay a big sum for that. If you do not, you may find your voice irreparably damaged very near to the future.

The voice is an actor's most important tool and you wouldn't believe the extent they go to to make sure it is looked after. If you do want an introduction into voice training, the forerunner and expert on this topic is Cicely Berry. She's well known in the acting community and you'd do good to read her books. I can recommend starting with "Freeing the Natural Voice."

PS: No offense to Skylar, but simply drinking water is not going to change your voice permanently
Thanks so much for your response man. I appreciate your help. I had a muscle disease when I was 16 and it weakened every part of my body. My diaphragm was weakened too - I'd say. So I'm conpletely better now, and I got my voice looked at a professional - she told me I'm tightening my vital chords - making me speak from my throat as if I'm choking or running low on breath. She gave me some techniques, i dont do them A LOT but i do them - i think they help a little. That's my understanding of it. I don't really hv the money to buy books and all that so online stuff would be better. According to the lady my voice can get better... I guess?

What bothers me is no one takes me serious and I lose their attention fast or I appear weak. (IMPORTANT) do you guys think it's bad or girls won't like it? Cause it's high and it gets lost in the SPAM. If you know a deff way to fix it let me know.

My journal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:46 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Ok well obviously it's a good thing that you've been to a professional and that she has told you that it can be fixed. If she is of the medical opinion that it can I can seriously recommend doing the exercises she taught you. But this is where the difficulty comes in. You need to do these exercises every day of every week. Try to set aside at least a half hour every day to work on it.

Have you seen "The King's Speech?" A lot of the techniques in the movie and I'm guessing the ones she gave you may seem a bit arbitrary but they work! You may feel like a fool doing them, trust me I had to do my own personal techniques for three years to get the voice I have now.

Another thing, you mentioned that your voice sounds high to you. Personally I don't think it sounds high, it just sounds strained which comes from speaking from the throat, which is why I wouldn't recommend trying to lower it because all you'd be doing currently would be to put even MORE strain on your vocal chords.

Right, I understand if you say you don't have any money for books, but if you are near to a University or a library do yourself a favour and try look for anything by Cicely Berry. It's the first voice book any actor picks up and most libraries or University libraries would have it. Otherwise you can even Youtube her techniques!

That's all I can really do for you from here dude. All I can say is be responsible and don't damage your voice any more than it already is by trying to lower it. Rather work on eradicating the tension in your throat, which should then free your voice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:24 pm 
Dedicated Member

Thanks brother. I'll look up that lady and check out the movie bit. I just need to keep doing the exercises and see how it goes. She did say the tension loosened up a bit in my throat and I found out the name of my condition: Muscle Tension Dysphonia

Btw, for future questions do you have like a SPAM or txt I can bounce questions off of? I'm not free often though

My journal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:16 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey no problem.

And no I don't have SPAM or any IM for that matter, but you can always send me a PM.