Looking for mass and strength gains?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:08 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

If there is one workout I truly love for both size and strength it's Bill Starr's 5X5 workout. Now let me advise you that this is not meant for a true beginner, but more along the lines for someone who may of hit a plateau, looking to change things up, or is just looking to increase overall gains. In short it's a 12 week training program with the idea of doing 5 sets of 5 repetitions. There's too much info to post so here so here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5 ... ar_5x5.htm

If there's one thing I noticed when first using this routine it's that the first 4 weeks are pretty much meant to ease you in to the program followed by 8 weeks of great gains. I also do some isolation exercises ontop of everything to really hit each muscle. More info can be found at T0Nation.com and Bodybulding.com. Hope it helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:06 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

I know the 5x5 when I see it in the gym.

Its quite effective an incorporates a crap load of great compound exercises.

The guy doing the 5x5 in my gym was another story.

A douchebag to the end of the earth. What kind of guy throws and slams his weights intentionally after doing a set?

It's funny, I got scared as fuck while I was squatting, when I heard a loud ass fucking boom, when I realized the jerk off next to me tossed his weight down after doing the set.

But yeah, 5x5 is intense, just be sure not to be a douchebag and toss your weight onto the ground intentionally with force. Ive never seen someone do barbell curls on a squat rack and then drop it full force after the squeeze, jeez.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:53 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Here's a take.
Do you know about the different muscle types ?

(Type I, Type IIa and Type IIb)

Working with RM (1-5 rep sets) builds Type IIb muscle fibers, which is the largest, most explosive strength, anaerobic muscles.
Which means, if you build just this type, you'll get tired very fast.

You'll get faster muscles, stronger, bigger, but endurance will be shit..
So it could be an advantage to work up the rep amount as time passes, building more aerobic muscle fibers as well ;)

the 5x5 looks good for building, but remember to work some endurance as well, so you don't end up being tired from walking up stairs and shit.
Mass is good, but make sure your body can take that mass.

Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:41 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Quote:

the 5x5 looks good for building, but remember to work some endurance as well, so you don't end up being tired from walking up stairs and shit.
Mass is good, but make sure your body can take that mass.
Very good points. I keep forgetting that not everyone on here understands the true concepts of "how" muscles function and is nice to see some well informed bros. You are 100% correct with regards to the 5X5 specifically targeting fast twitch fibers, which is why I like to throw in some edurance sets to subside fatigue as much as possible. But if you are just looking for straight up size and strength and know your body well enough it's a great way to change things up. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:28 am 
New to MPUA Forum

I have tried out the Rest-Pause training a few times, and it is great for strength and size... more or less strength... it too is a great way to break through a plateau... i had the work out in one of my magazines and found it to be interesting so i tried it out.... this is not for beginners.... it takes a lot of energy from short muscle fibers... basically it keeps u lifting heavy weight for a lot more reps then u would normally.

Here is the link...
http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/199
it just shows a chest exercise but u can do it with almost everything.... so next time u feel u need to boost up ur chest or ur bench max give this a shot...