Muscle Gain?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

Post subject: Muscle Gain?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:55 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

I'm about 5ft 11, and weigh something in the region of 130-135lb which is.. Skinny.

After reading other posts here, I felt the issue wasn't covered. What are the best diets/workouts to effectively gain muscle on the upper half of your body (Specifically arms/shoulders/pecs) and also burn the slight fat that I have lingering on my stomach (Not major, but I'd like the defining of the stomach muscles to be better)?

I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Dro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:04 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

If you haven't been working out start with push ups they work wonders, for a couple weeks.. But if you have and you want to bulk up do a power workout (High Weight - Low Reps) you want to build up to it though don't just all of a sudden throw three plates on. A pyramid workout is great to for bench or squats.. like sets of 10-5-3-3-3-5-10 or 10-7-5-3-2-3-5-8 make sure you've got a good spotter for those. Pyramid has build the most strength and bulk for me. Make sure you do incline and decline for bench as well so you can shelf your underside. Then when you get the weight you want start doing high reps low sets to cut you up.

So look up a power workout or it sounds gay but you can look up an actors workout like the 300 workout (Pretty damn hard) or some actor on a movie and it'll probably have it.

Make sure though you're not just concentrating on just your upper half or you'll end up looking like an ice cream cone. Plus you need to give your muscles time to rebuild after you've torn them down. Bench on M Th Squat and or powerclean T F. Wed is your day off.

Day 1: CHEST

Flat bench press [pyramid]

Incline Bench press 10-8-6-6

DB Flyes 3 sets of 8-10

Dips 3 sets

Day 2: LEGS

pyramid Squats

20 rep Deadlifts (1 Set after warm up) - be really careful to do these right

5 sets of calve raises - if you want

Leg Curls

Military Press 3x10.. don't go below 90 degrees or you'll fuck up your shoulders like I did

Day 3: Off

Day 4:

Bench - pyramid

Pull ups = Push yourself.. set a goal and get it doesn't matter how many sets you need

Bent over rows 3 sets of 10-12 reps

4 sets of straight bar curls 10,8,8,6

3 sets of Reverse curls 18,15,12

Throw in 21's every couple of weeks instead of those... you do 7 reps from hands down to ninety degrees, then 7 from ninety degrees to your chin, then 7 full

Day 5:

4 sets of Military presses 10,8,8,6

Powercleans

Shoulder shrugs 5 sets of 12-15 reps

Dips hands close in 3 sets to failure

Day 6: Off

Day 7: Off

This is just a basic outline.. you'll need to find what works for you.. You should gain around 5 pounds a week and then you'll start to plateau.. then start mixing it up.

Hope this helps
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:20 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Wow, that sounds a really good plan. Thanks Gander!

Do you have pictures/videoes of how the exercises should be done? I wouldn't wanna go hurting myself whilst doing it wrongly.

Dro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:04 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

you want a fuckin workout? go to google and type in "300 workout". it gives you the workout that the spartans use in the movie 300 to get big as fuck. there are also videos that come up, or go to youtube and type up 300 workout.

if this is too hard,(it's a tough workout), you can also try the will smith workout or the punisher workout or just about any other movie with a ripped mother fucker has a workout so knock yourself out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:08 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Quote:
This is just a basic outline.. you'll need to find what works for you.. You should gain around 5 pounds a week and then you'll start to plateau.. then start mixing it up.

Hope this helps
[/b]
(gander means that you'll gain five pounds on your reps a week, not five pounds of body mass)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:06 am 
New to MPUA Forum

start out on rippetoes starting strength workout bro
this will give you a good base and some good mass
do it for around 3-6months
trust me it works and you're gonna have to eat alot too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:43 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

For muscle gain you primarily need to focus your diet around 2 main points: -
1. Extra protein to use in building new muscle
2. Extra calories to provide the energy you need to workout and for your body to use in building new muscle.

The best form of extra protein/calories is obviously a mass/weight gain powder to take as directed around your workouts but they are fairly expensive.

Alternatively adjust your diet to include more fish/lean chicken/lean turkey/milk/peanuts and peanut butter/cottage cheese/egg whites/beans and legumes/lean red meat and slow burning or wholemeal carbs like sweet potato and brown rice.
Make sure you're drinking plenty of water too as muscles need it to grow - some bodybuilders drink in excess of 10 litres a day!
Sleep is also important as this is the time where the body build muscle most - make sure you get enough!
Below is a link to a bodybuilding websites 8-muscle-building diet essentials page: -
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/muscleb ... ntials.htm

In addition to adjusting your actual diet - adjusting when you eat will also improve muscle mass gain. The ELMO (eat less more often) approach helps to ensure you don't gain fat as you are bulking up - this basically means instead of 3 large meals a day try 6 smaller meals at even intervals.
Also as you require energy to workout eating bananas 30mins before exercise is generally regarded as a good approach. Post workout you should try and have some form of protein as this is when your body absorbs it fastest.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:07 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Eggs as well.. they're are the most complete source of protein in a single food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:24 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Just wanted to see how it's going for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:15 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Another important thing not mentioned is that you want to keep your workouts short; 45 minutes should be tops. By working out more than 45 minutes, your bodies burning too many calories and you'll end up losing weight.
So the main components for gaining weight are:
1. eat and consume more calories. (Does not mean you could eat anything you want such as cakes, candy, and other foods without much nutrition in them.) You should try to consume an extra 500-800 calories a day.
2. workout large muscle groups such as the back, chest, shoulders, and legs. Don't just try to work out your arms. You'll end up looking quite awkward.
3. make sure before the workouts you give your body some fuel. Eat some carbs and protein, fats are okay too, but make sure your foods digested.
4. Immediately have a post workout shake or meal(try to avoid whole foods- they take too long to digest) which includes mostly fast digesting, high glycemic index carbs and avoid fat.
5. If you really have a tough time to gain weight, I recommend taking protein shakes, and creatine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Encyclopedia- ... 0684857219

read it

follow the beginners program and increase your protein intake substantially. Also, when first starting out, cut out some exercises each week as that routines almost 2 hours and you want to be around 1 hourish at the most.

read the chapters on nutrition and STUDY them

use http://www.fitday.com to keep track of all your calories and your protein intake vs fat and carbs.

SLOW DOWN!

Lift heavy weights, and literally slow the rest of your day down, don't fidget, just rest easy, and chill out, gaining weight is tough, but once you get the hang of relaxing after a workout you'll see bigger gains.

Do not over work. Do heavy weights, do 12 reps a set.

Also, stay away from soy protein, use whey protein substitutes.

I really like the new GNC advanced creatine in pill form, I like it for when I plateau, I use it almost like a steroid in that respect, use it to push muscle, and when I get over that hump, i stop taking it and force myself to lift the same weight without creatine. (btw I don't take roids, just explaining how I use creatine)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:08 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

In short mate, focus on a surplus of calories (say 500 extra) per day of clean foods, space out about 6 meals a day each containing protein and expect to gain a little bit of fat as you cant look cut and get big at the same time. DIET COMES FIRST so eat high carbs and protein an hour before a workout ad within 30mins after to refuel glycogen etc. look to consume basically your bodyweight scaled down to grams in protein. Understood?

to avoid extra fat try and avoid eating fats and carbs together as fat will transport carbs straight to a fat deposit system at a 3:1 ratio.

A workout you ask? these "300 workouts" are all very well and good for more advanced people, but most beginners simply cant do it at the start and sometimes give up. instead focus on compound moves (i didnt read all of your thread as i havent got the time but just wanted to help as have been doing it for years and dont really get complaints about my body :0)). this means any exercise recruiting the most amount of muscle groups in one go! 50% of your overall lifestyle should be rest, so add that to your schedule.

Lastly, the workout there's debate as to full body or split, but to build an importantly strong core i reckon that 3 full bodies a week will do and good focus on nutrition! remember legs and back are the biggest muscles in your body and im sure you want to look proportionate? work these muscles to create more testosterone AND therefore creating a path for the rest of the body to follow:

do this 3 times a week, obviously spread out in the correct amount of rest:

Squats=8reps of 4 sets
Deadlifts=10 of 4
Calve raises=12 of 3
Bench Press 8of 2 then 6 of 2
Pullup (overhand grip)=10 of 4
Bent Over Row=8 of 4
Military Press=10 of 4

Hope this helps pal! also, despite what others say....NEVER NEGLECT A MUSCLE GROUP....this is the way to get injuries. The reason that i have not added isolation exercises is that all the main muscle groups mentioned in the above are worked, overworking leads to shrinkage.

GOOD LUCK. P.S. if i have left anything out let me know as i have just touched the tip of the iceberg with this. if needs be i'll give out my email.

Serval.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:12 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Oh and also, speaking from experience....try and focus on real food rather than supplements. the only real time to take supplements is straight after a workout as solid foods take about an hour to digest about 7 grams of protein. And in the evening try and consume either cottage cheese or milk as the last thing as it contains casein which prevents muscle breakdown. Genetics also has a big part to play in muscle building.

Anywas, apologies for the scatty info, just the way i do things lol!

Serval.