Martial arts!

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

Post subject: Martial arts!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:15 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

- DISCLAIMER-
I DO NOT REGARD MYSELF AS ANYWHERE NEAR SUCCESFUL WITH WOMEN THIS POST IS PURELY ABOUT EXCERCISE

As said above I am definitely not some kind of master PUA... I could use more than a tonne of advice on what to do in situations with women.
Recently I've seen a few posts where people have been listing their workouts... giving in-depth workout plans, exercise by exercise.
There's nothing wrong with this, but for someone who may not workout at all, I think these plans can be daunting and sometimes over complicated.

I would like to suggest something as an alternative which I think worked really well for me personally... that was joining a Karate Dojo.
It helped me meet some new people and become more of a sociable person as well as improving my fitness and body shape much more then any gym contract / workout plan ever has.

I completely understand that martial arts are not for everyone and I also appreciate that no one martial art is better than another.
However in terms of the training involved I believe that attending a class from one of the below, 2 or 3 times a week, along with a healthy diet and some home workouts could potentially boost your confidence, your inner-game and make you feel like more of an Alpha Male in confrontational situations.
They Are:-
Mauy Thai Kickboxing
Kyokushin Karate
Brazillian JiuJitsu
Krav Maga
(As well as any decent Mixed Martial Arts gym which may incorporate a couple of the above into one lesson)

If you're wondering what I mean by "healthy diet" you really do not need to go overboard with all these different diet plans you find on the internet.
If all you want to do is loose a bit of excess weight and drop a few extra pounds it really is as simple as not eating and drinking junk every day. Make sure you get your 3 meals every day to keep your metabolism on point and then just cut out the Big Mac's and the Fizzy Pop! Eat more clean lean meats like seasoned chicken breasts and steaks, don't overdose on carbs, choose brown rice brown pasta and brown bread over white... all of these things are just simple little changes that will really help.

When I mentioned home workouts, again keep it simple; don't buy loads weight racks and weight benches. Maybe just buy yourself a pull-up bar for your door frame. Each day you’re not training try to complete 50 Pushups, 50 Situps, and 50 Squats.
If you have some way of doing pull-ups at home then each day do one set how as many reps as you can manage and then the following day challenge yourself to beat that.

Let me know what you guys think to this... it's just something that's worked for me and I'd love to know what you guys think.

Post subject: Re: Martial arts!
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:08 am 
New to MPUA Forum

I would add systema to the list. Good for rolls, which I didn't truly understand how important they can be until I received some tuition. Also good for thinking outside the box - i.e. using whatever is available to you in that precise moment rather than trying to conjure up some sort of 'plan' (some sort of pre-rehearsed martial arts combo or the like).

MMA is unfairly dismissed by a lot of guys - "oh that is not what a real fight looks like". The things you've got to keep in mind is:

1. MMA is primarily oriented towards competition, NOT self-defence. I guess that the worst criticism of MMA is that it is centred around one-on-one competition fights under 'fair' and relatively safe conditions (although getting slammed onto your spine in a position where you can't break your fall and by a professional athlete isn't exactly safe!).
2. MMA is one of very few systems that combines striking AND ground work/grappling. Of course in real life situations you should avoid groundwork at all costs (particularly situations where you are faced with multiple opponents). But, sometimes you have no choice!
3. Better to know MMA AND fight dirty, than to just know nothing and try to fight dirty anyways!
4. Because MMA is a competition sport, you actually get to practice full-contact sparring (i.e. striking combined with grappling) in a relatively safe environment! If you do a traditional martial arts system like jiu jitsu (not brazilian jiu jitsu), you don't even get to practice sparring until you get to black belt. If you do regular boxing, muay thai, wrestling, taekwondo, etc. you only get to practice certain 'elements' of sparring (e.g. in wrestling, you don't even practice full submission grappling, mainly just takedowns and pins). This is only good for if you are a complete beginner and need to break MMA down into it's substitute parts.

Having said that, full-contact systems like Systema and Krav Maga are ideal because you get to practice techniques for literally everything: ground work, throws, striking, weapon control, dirty fighting. I haven't done Krav Maga yet, but I would love to. Krav Maga, from what I understand has more similarities in terms of foot work and blocking systems to MMA. Systema uses patterns that are highly relaxed/energy efficient and very, very different ... and that's why it's good to practice it!

I did a few karate sessions once. Coming from a muay thai background and doing a little taekwondo as well, I couldn't stand it. The kicks just seemed incredibly weak and ineffective and most of the blocks ... well you already get most of those in taekwondo. Maybe the tutor just wasn't very good but that's the way it seemed to me.