What is the best way to develop the rear deltoids?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:50 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Ok so I haven't really put much focus into this area and I would like to train the rear delts to improve posture and avoid injury.

I do deadlifts, pull ups, bent over barbell rows and overhead press (not for rear delts specifically) and I gather that they are involved in a smaller way in these exercises but how can I isolate them?

Are rear lateral raises enough to isolate and build the rear delts or are there better/other ways of doing this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:31 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

you can do bent over lateral raises.
you can also put a bench at an angle of a bit less than 45 degrees and lie down on it. Then you can do lateral raises to isolate the rear delts and even add some trap activation.
You can also do face pulls with a rope. (search this up if you dont know what these are)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:14 am 
New to MPUA Forum

That is the core exercises I use also.
Strict rear DB raises
Seated cable rows with split lines

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:43 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Pendlay rows. Ever since I incorporated them into my program my rear delts look joocy as fuaaaark!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:38 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

If your gym has a reverse pec deck do that and try multiple grips until you find the one that isolates your rear delts. Start on that as it isolates.
Also 100% agree with the guy above me that said Pendlay rows. I had to google the name since I never heard of it but coincidently ive been doing these for ages and I get the best pumps. I'd recommend underhand grip however as opposed to overhand like the images on google. Oh also make sure you do it on a smith machine for that isolation!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:01 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Pendlay rows
Reverse flyes on a Pec deck
Pull ups (wide should be fine)
Machine row (this one is great, grab the almost horizontal part of the handle for this)
Military press (hits all heads)

Rear delts are kind of hard to come out, and I personally believe there's a lot of genetics behind shoulder development, but incorporate those into your routines! How many reps do you perform /how fast do you preform them?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:39 am 
New to MPUA Forum

People have already given you good exercises. Remember to also strech your pec (pectoralis major). Also you need to try to keep a good posture in your daily life. Meaning that even tho it feels akward to keep good posture you need to try to keep it any way. So try to remember to keep your shoulders back all the time. At some point it will come more automatically.

Also make sure to do your exercises correctly. If your tecnigue suck you wont get the results you want. So in every exercise concentrate that your shoulders are back in every rep.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:04 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Quote:
People have already given you good exercises. Remember to also strech your pec (pectoralis major). Also you need to try to keep a good posture in your daily life. Meaning that even tho it feels akward to keep good posture you need to try to keep it any way. So try to remember to keep your shoulders back all the time. At some point it will come more automatically.

Also make sure to do your exercises correctly. If your tecnigue suck you wont get the results you want. So in every exercise concentrate that your shoulders are back in every rep.
The plus side to all that is proper posture happens to be dominant posture.