Not losing weight - down to ~800 cal/day

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:31 am 
New to MPUA Forum

For the past year or so, I've been gaining weight. I've cleaned up my diet to the point at which I don't know what else to give up - I'm gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, no fast food, no fried food, no processed food and I faithfully eat clean 6.5/7 days per week. I include healthy fats like olive oil and coconut oil to make sure lack of good fat isn't holding me back. I don't drink alcohol or fancy coffee drinks. I've meticulously documented everything that goes into my mouth and my activity. My weight won't budge. Took it down to under 1k/day - closer to 800/day - over a week ago and still nothing lost. My current typical day's food is a bowl of organic berries for breakfast, a healthy salad for lunch with olive oil and lemon and some lentil stew for dinner. I also swap out meals with a veggie protein shake (22 grams of protein per serving + more protein from the carton-style coconut milk I mix it with). Should it really be this hard? I don't know that I can go down any lower than I am now. I have a thyroid problem, but still...my numbers are currently normal, so...?? I am definitely overweight so it's not like I am trying to be skinnier than my body will healthfully allow + I recently got some bloodwork and my triglycerides were high (350) so I desperately need to take care of this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

The most important thing in losing weight I didn't see mentioned at all. Are you exercising? You can't starve yourself like that because your metabolism will shut down and go into starvation mode, which means you won't lose weight. I eat 3k a day and lose weight. Before you say it, I'm not genetically gifted with a 6 pack. Most of my family is overweight.

Hit the gym, go run, and eat enough healthy food, frequently to support your body. Anything less than 2k a day is for couch potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

How do you ask your body to burn when you only feed it 800 Cal a day ??!!!!!!!! How can I explain all of that in typing?!!!!

GO SEE A NUTRITIONIST NOW!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:31 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey man, I'm going to echo what a lot of people here have already said. Starving your body of calories will cause your body to lose some weight, but this will be Muscle while your body keeps the fat(Survival basics). In turn as you lose muscle your metabolism will slow down and you will lose weight less efficiently and slowly. Don't worry about cardio so much, but start hitting the gym. If you PM me your email address I'll send you a Free PDF called "You are your own gym" which will help give you further guidance in how to gain muscle and lose weight.

TL;DR?

1) Start going to the gym and lifting weights
2) Increase protein in your diet
3) Keep calories around 2000-2500.. mostly coming from Quality foods.

Hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:10 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

Why are you drinking protein shakes... They're only really useful if you're hitting the gym hard and building up your muscle. There's a shit load of calories in protein shakes and they will put on the weight! If you want to lose it cut that shit out.

Also, if you're in the gym working out and putting on muscle of course you're not going to lose weight. Muscle mass can be heavier than fat. So if that's what you're doing keep that in mind, you're just putting on muscle weight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:24 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

take a week off bro, you need to re-feed your body... don't binge but don't eat less than 2000-2500 if your a girl/guy do NOT try to lose weight during this time. Then do p90x program and follow the nutrition plan... getting skinny fat =/= progress. You need to actually be fit if you want to LOOK fit... oO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:22 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey man,

I have no idea how you're functioning on under 1000kcals per day!

That is certainly not a healthy way to lose weight!

Heres my routine that helped me lose over 70lbs in 6 months and keep it off.

I work out 7 days a week.

I center my work outs around Boxing and MMA.

I take a pre work out.

I train fasted.

I follow a mostly SPAM diet.

I eat 2 meals a day and snack on Quest Bars.

I enjoy my food, and my workouts, its not tough and I continue to put on muscle and lose fat.

As I plateau I add in jogging sprinting HIIT and different types of weight training.

Once I get low body fat and want to keep dropping I may lower carbs further until I am shredded.

Peace!

Brad Holiday

http://www.1GirlDaily.com
and
http://www.Facebook.com/BradHoliday01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:34 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

When you only feed yourself 800 calories a day your body will go into a "catabolic state." This is essentially your body saying "Oh shit! We gotta conserve what we have." Feeding your body only 800 calories a day will actually slow your metabolism into a slow crawl. Not to mention, you will probably feel like shit!

2000 calories a day is a safe goal to consume, but you should probably never go below 1600. That's cutting it close. Also, choose your foods from the top 2 or 3 tiers of Michi's Ladder. Look that up on Google, you'll find plenty of results.

As said before, make sure you are exercising as well! And don't stick to only cardio, throw in a good amount of intense weight training! Not only is weight training more fun (in my opinion anyway) but developing muscle actually burns away fat way faster! The more muscle you have, the more they need nutrients, and fat is full of nutrients. So more muscle = less fat.

Lastly, space your meals. eat 5-6 times a day, with your largest meal being breakfast. Do not skip breakfast...EVER! This meal will actually jump start your metabolism. And don't eat at least an hour before sleeping (preferably 3). You should go to bed feeling slightly hungry. You will sleep better this way, and you won't have anything in you when your metabolism slows down for the night. Better sleep = more energy = more fat burned.

In short:

-Shoot for 2000 calories a day
-Eat from the top 2 or 3 tiers of Michi's ladder for those calories
-Balance your cardio with weight training
-Eat 5-6 small meals per day
-NEVER skip breakfast. EVER!
-Get at least 8hrs of sleep per night
-Finally, do not eat within an hour (preferable 3 hours) before sleeping

Let me know how your weight is doing! I'm rooting for you!