Bent over barbell row question?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:04 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Do you know of any video that shows perfect form for this? I have seen a few videos and they all do it differently and all the comments with them say they are doing it wrong. Also is the bar meant to touch the floor or not?

I tried these out last night to try and build up some back muscle, I felt the burn all right but it was a much smaller area of the back and higher up than I expected. The other thing was that it was the back of my legs that seemed to get the most work out from this movement. Is that how it should be? thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:41 pm 
King Among Mortals

Quote:
Do you know of any video that shows perfect form for this? I have seen a few videos and they all do it differently and all the comments with them say they are doing it wrong. Also is the bar meant to touch the floor or not?

I tried these out last night to try and build up some back muscle, I felt the burn all right but it was a much smaller area of the back and higher up than I expected. The other thing was that it was the back of my legs that seemed to get the most work out from this movement. Is that how it should be? thanks.

You could ask this question 100 time and get 100 answers.

My preference is not to do them. You could injure your lower back if not executed properly, and judging by the soreness you felt in your hamstrings, you were not.

Try single arm bent over dumbbell rows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR8onsa5jFQ

I use 120s 4 sets of 10 each side.

Also try T-Bar row & Dead's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:18 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

"Try single arm bent over dumbbell rows"

nice suggestion, defintely feeling the benefit of them, I can feel it thoughput the whole muscle right down into the lower back. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:30 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Quote:

If your feeling it in your hamstrings and lower back, it's because your either over stressing those muscles with poor form, or they are really weak.

Back should be about 60 degrees from being completely bent over (parallel to the floor). Arms straight down and grip the bar. Pull straight up into your solar plexus, pinching the lats back. Consciously feel the lats pinching, your arms should only bend back at the elbows, not out. That's how to do a proper barbell row for your lats, which will give you that nice V shape. Pullups and deadliest will actually help more, and should be done first.

Also, this is a preference of mine, I don't use a belt when I'm not trying for a max lift. It only hamstrings (no pun intended) the development of essential core muscles, and makes them weaker and more likely to be injured. If you can't safely do the weight, lower it. Compliment your back training with hyperextensions as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:08 am 
King Among Mortals

Quote:
Quote:

If your feeling it in your hamstrings and lower back, it's because your either over stressing those muscles with poor form, or they are really weak.

Back should be about 60 degrees from being completely bent over (parallel to the floor). Arms straight down and grip the bar. Pull straight up into your solar plexus, pinching the lats back. Consciously feel the lats pinching, your arms should only bend back at the elbows, not out. That's how to do a proper barbell row for your lats, which will give you that nice V shape. Pullups and deadliest will actually help more, and should be done first.

Also, this is a preference of mine, I don't use a belt when I'm not trying for a max lift. It only hamstrings (no pun intended) the development of essential core muscles, and makes them weaker and more likely to be injured. If you can't safely do the weight, lower it. Compliment your back training with hyperextensions as well.
Great answer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:44 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

Damn what happened to pull-ups.