How do I find out what I want - and how do I commit?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Building an Attractive Lifestyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:02 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey there,
For a long time I have been in doubt. I find myself becoming interested in all sorts of things.
I am currently 18 years old, and one of my most important goals in life is to have success and to achieve something. I want to actually be someone, and I want people to look up to me. In order to do this, I have to start working my ass off in whatever field i want to be good. The problem, though, is that I cannot seem to decide what it is that i want to do
For a long time, I have been a musician. I have primarily been focusing on drums, but I always have had a knack for music, and I have often received nice words from other musicians. A couple of years ago, I started doing Taekwondo and I found that i was quite good at that as well, having been told by my trainers that i would become a very strong competer.
To make it even worse, in music there are a lot of different routes to take, such as classical or rhythmic, what instrument to play, etc. I am even starting to like conducting, which I apparently am not bad at either (sorry for bragging so much :lol:)
However, I do not wish to be a jack of all trades. I want to be a master of one, but I don't know how to choose one. Whenever I do one, I get so hyped, that I am ready to quit all the other stuff that I do. Then after a couple of days, i sort of wears off. I need more passion.
So basically, my question is: How do I find my passion?
Thank you so much,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:13 pm 
English Muffin

Without revealing too much about myself.

I used to be one the best athletes in my country and I really wish when I was 18-23.

What I really regret is, I chose the most dick farm sport in the world lol.

I am not saying you should pick a sport that might help you get laid, but I assume you probably want to choose something that has that benefit (Since you're posting on this forum and all)

So really think about you want, I agree, though, pick something and nail it instead of being a dabbler and not being able to put in 10,000 hours mastery needs to take.

There is also a side to me to forget about the women, just do what you're passionate about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:56 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Agree with Dragula to an extent. There are certainly countless examples of people who have mastered two or more disciplines within their lifetime. But do you have the organization and discipline to do that? Very few people do.

I work at a job where I can read and study as I make money, and that allows me all sorts of time to advance my poetry career and recently I have been interested/studying investing.

Sacrifices have to be made, but I would caution against "choosing" one. You sound like a passionate person, over time you are just going to find one or two of those passions wins out.

For me, I was huge into poetry in high school, faded away in college as I went into Middle Eastern Studies, then went back to poetry after graduating writing about the Middle East. So I completely fell into it.

You're 18. I hear from all sorts of VERY SUCCESSFUL people ages up to their SIXTIES that they want to do this or want to pursue that that is totally outside of what they are already doing and successful at. Don't chase the dream, just do what's going to make you a better person tomorrow today.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Quote:
Hey there,
For a long time I have been in doubt. I find myself becoming interested in all sorts of things.
I am currently 18 years old, and one of my most important goals in life is to have success and to achieve something. I want to actually be someone, and I want people to look up to me. In order to do this, I have to start working my ass off in whatever field i want to be good. The problem, though, is that I cannot seem to decide what it is that i want to do
For a long time, I have been a musician. I have primarily been focusing on drums, but I always have had a knack for music, and I have often received nice words from other musicians. A couple of years ago, I started doing Taekwondo and I found that i was quite good at that as well, having been told by my trainers that i would become a very strong competer.
To make it even worse, in music there are a lot of different routes to take, such as classical or rhythmic, what instrument to play, etc. I am even starting to like conducting, which I apparently am not bad at either (sorry for bragging so much :lol:)
However, I do not wish to be a jack of all trades. I want to be a master of one, but I don't know how to choose one. Whenever I do one, I get so hyped, that I am ready to quit all the other stuff that I do. Then after a couple of days, i sort of wears off. I need more passion.
Thank you so much,
Andreas

Well I decided to see a life coach and they're helping me find what I ultimately want to do, etc. Whilst it seems silly to pay soneone, I think it would be

Just from learning small parts here, I've come a long way for me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:24 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Quote:
Hey there,
Thank you so much,
Andreas

Well I decided to see a life coach and they're helping me find what I ultimately want to do, etc. Whilst it seems silly to pay someone to help arrange your life, I think it would be beneficial. Maybe you could too?

Just from learning small parts here, I've come a long way for me!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:08 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Quote:
Well I decided to see a life coach and they're helping me find what I ultimately want to do, etc. Whilst it seems silly to pay someone to help arrange your life, I think it would be beneficial.
It is very beneficial. After most people finish school, they don't believe it is necessary to hire a teacher for anything, yet I disagree. When there is something that I do not know, I look to the people that do and learn from them. Teacher services aren't free and the price varies with the knowledge of which you want to know. Ex. We all know how expensive PUA boot camps can be, but in the same sense that many pay for college, or to be taught by professors. If people are willing to pay to learn from a professor about advanced calculus, why would it be silly to pay to learn from an expert about how to live better. I would easily hire someone to teach me anything that I wanted to know, no matter the subject.