My pimp pad. Ideas and opinions needed

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Building an Attractive Lifestyle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:42 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Just moved out of my parents house. Now the question is... how do I fill my pimp pad?

Some things are pretty straightforward: No gaming chairs or cinema seating. Great for CoD marathons, awful for foreplaying. No heavy metal band posters. The problem is, I really hate minimalist and trendy decor. I'm a fan of Steampunk and Gothic but I get a feeling most girls will run away if they see a wall full of medieval weapons. I also love traveling and have quite a good deal of antiques (real and replicas) from around the world. Some I collected on my trips, some were given to me, some I bought online or at world fair like events.

So, the main themes I've been thinking are: Art Deco and/or 1950's. Probably Art Deco for the living room, den/ManCave and rooms and 1950's to the kitchen, with the chess floor diner style bench seats and Smeg appliances. Would this work?

I've also been thinking of adding some stuff that shows my love of traveling, kinda like the house of a turn of the century explorer with one or two african masks, a moroccan table, a display case with some pre-colombian and egyptian replicas, one or two chinese vases, set of samurai swords... Would it look cool or is it going a bit overboard?

And how about a movie lounger like this?

They sure look inviting...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:08 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Quote:
I'm a fan of Steampunk and Gothic but I get a feeling most girls will run away if they see a wall full of medieval weapons. I also love traveling and have quite a good deal of antiques (real and replicas) from around the world. Some I collected on my trips, some were given to me, some I bought online or at world fair like events.
Just remember the place is your place. You shouldn't really worry about what other people will think about it, just as long as you like it. But I will be glad to throw out my home design tips. My only question is, how much are you willing to throw down? Ball park wise.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:14 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

The cheaper the better, whatever's left is going into my savings account. But my top is about 20,000-25,000. I already have most of the electronics (TV's, computers, sound system).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:08 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Quote:
So, the main themes I've been thinking are: Art Deco and/or 1950's. Probably Art Deco for the living room, den/ManCave and rooms and 1950's to the kitchen, with the chess floor diner style bench seats and Smeg appliances. Would this work?
For the 1950s look I'd recommend this website; you can ape shit their with the decor:
http://www.retroplanet.com/
(before you buy remember to google the shit for cheaper prices)

1950s table and chairs
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Table-S ... d=29404282

Art Decor- I just used esty; assuming you wanted steam punk
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=steam%20p ... rt%20decor

I'm assuming it would all work out? But I am not a professional home designer. And as much as I love you and the forum, it would take me a lot of time to pick out every bit of decor to make an ideal perfect 1950s room etc. for you. I hope I helped though! Sorry if I couldn't give you more links etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:45 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Just like clothing, home design is all about developing your own style. I wouldn't be too concerned with special ding a decent amount of money. If you select classic pieces (non-trendy, classic styles) it won't look dated in 10 years.

If you like 50's style furniture, as I do, Google "mid century modern". You don't have to use an overall minimalist design, but using some 50's style pieces is a great way to get a retro look while still looking mature.

Considering your age I would stay away from anything that highlights how young you are. You'll get more respect for having a mature design than having anything that makes you look young such as anything "brandy" or samurai swords. Unless you traveled to Japan and you have a story behind that sword such as an actual samurai gave it to you, I'd stay away from it.

Some steam punk items are okay, in moderation, when used to accent. However don't go overboard. A good alternative is to search "modern industrial". To me it's a good blend of that industrial steampunk look while still looking mature.

By the way, women always compliment my place. A girl I had over Saturday asked if my place came 'pre-decorated', though I am 34. But it will work to your advantage if a girl comes over and it doesn't look like an average 23yr Olds bachelor pad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:39 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Just pick your style and make it look nice.

My own personal taste is antiques. I've had a collecting bug since I was about six years old, so I tend to collect tons of interesting and valuable things. I'm always at antique stores, yard sales, estate sales, and auctions. I always come home with interesting things, and those interesting things turn into decorations around the house.

This is just my taste, and it suits me as a person. Lately since I've been bringing girls over to my house, two things happen:

They're immediately comfortable, because my house has a fun but cozy vibe.
And they want to talk about everything I own. I have some awesome stuff in every corner of my house, and they always tend to ask about it. I have a genuine human skull on a table, and it always gets attention.

These things also allow me to stay funny. For example, with the human skullcap I have on my coffee table, filled with candy, people always ask "Why?" To which I go over the irony of that person never imagining they'd be used as a candy dish. Or when they see my elephant ivory collection, to which my response is "Ivory is beautiful, I love it, because fuck elephants." My whole house is full of fun, rare, interesting things. My furniture decor is old. Its all old and awesome.

Those pictures you posted, that place looks fantastic. But for me, it would be a disaster and I would hate it.

Do whatever you like and looks good!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:03 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips, RedRover.

I like some of the stuff this guys make https://www.restorationhardware.com/ but unfortunately it is quite expensive. If you know a company that makes similar stuff on a budget, hollow.

I'm particularly intersted in something like this:

Aviator seat: https://www.restorationhardware.com/cat ... cat2400262 Already found an alternative but it's still expensive and it does not have the rivets and distressed look.

"Balloon" chair: https://www.restorationhardware.com/cat ... cat2390481 Already found it with a new vernished wood and fake leather look for under $500 :D

The place I got is in fact very good for a more "theatrical" setting. I inherited it from my godfather, who was a mechanic. It's a turn of the century building which I believe was built as a fire house so the ground floor is a pretty big garage where my godfather set up shop. Basically a huge open space with a high ceiling (tall enough for a fire truck) and an elevated dock in the end. I'm selling the used garage equipment and will tear down the pre-fab office on the dock space. Then I will put a glass wall betwen the garage and the dock, some cool lighting, and will use the dock space as a mancave with my computers (and I have quite a few with several monitors), airsoft guns on display, punching bag, one or two display cabinets with some of my antiques and HD 100" projector. Kinda like how Nathan Drake's house would look. This is where the movie lounger is going.

My godfather also used to run the place as a guest house back in the 60's and 70's so the top floor has a living room, kitchen and 11 (yes, 11!) very tiny bedrooms where you can barely fit a bed. Yes, I've thought of using the place as a female dorm room but unfortunately there are no colleges nearby :D Also, besides not needing all that space most of the dry walls need a full renovation due to water damage and the tax on real estate in this zone is based more on room number than living area, so I'm tearing down the interior and replacing it with a spacious living room and library (two rooms connected by sliding doors, bar on the living room, pool table on the library); a bigger kitchen; big master bedroom with big closet and "las vegas style suite" bathroom and a couple guest bedrooms.

I saw a video once on how to get the "las vegas suite" on a budget but unfortunately I can't find it on youtube. Anyway, I've run the numbers and here are some tips to get that high roller look for around 5k: Use marble print vinyl on the walls. Cheap and looks great. Get a hot tub. You can find some used ones on e-bay pretty cheap. I was fortunate enough to get one of the display units from a local construction store. Never used, no signs of tear or wear (it was not accessible to costumers), with warantee and a massive discount. You can get a kind of acrylic or glass enclosure for the hot tub (going all the way to the ceiling) and with some aditional plumbing it doubles as a steam room. Get some indoor/outdoor speakers, again, very cheap if you buy second hand from e-bay and you are set for the ambient music. Finaly, on the video I saw they had a flat screen tv on a wall mount next to the mirror. No need for that nowadays. You can buy a wall mount tablet bracket for some 10 to 15 bucks and just use your tablet and one of those "online tv" services every cable company includes in the package nowadays.