Anybody know cars?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Building an Attractive Lifestyle

Post subject: Anybody know cars?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:59 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Thinking about buying a 2004 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S from a family friend. He's offering 30k. Here are the specs

2004 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S – 40,100 miles
Black/Black
VIN:

Options:
• 6 Speed Transmission
• 4 wheel drive – traction control system
• Automatic rear spoiler
• Sport suspension
• Anti-lock brakes
• Power steering, window, locks, sunroof, keyless entry, cruise control
• AM/FM Stereo; multi CD changer
• Air conditioning
• Aluminum interior trim
• Aluminum alloy wheels
• Black all leather power bucket seats; leather steering wheel
• Air bags, front and side impact
• Cover and lock

Car looks to be in good to excellent condition. Is this a solid deal? Posting the same in a car forum but curious if anyone around here has some advice.

Post subject: Re: Anybody know cars?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:13 pm 
The Coach

Quote:
Thinking about buying a 2004 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S from a family friend. He's offering 30k. Here are the specs

2004 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S – 40,100 miles
Black/Black
VIN:

Options:
• 6 Speed Transmission
• 4 wheel drive – traction control system
• Automatic rear spoiler
• Sport suspension
• Anti-lock brakes
• Power steering, window, locks, sunroof, keyless entry, cruise control
• AM/FM Stereo; multi CD changer
• Air conditioning
• Aluminum interior trim
• Aluminum alloy wheels
• Black all leather power bucket seats; leather steering wheel
• Air bags, front and side impact
• Cover and lock

Car looks to be in good to excellent condition. Is this a solid deal? Posting the same in a car forum but curious if anyone around here has some advice.

Message me the vin.

I used to sell cars. I'll have someone from my dealership run Blackbook on it. 30 seems a little steep from a Private Party for a car that is now 10 years old. (especially a family friend)

I would personally advise against a Porsche. Go BMW or Mercedes. Porsche will come off as SUPER try hard to some (meaning most) women and you will only impress the gold diggers. And I highly doubt you are looking to buy a Porsche to impress your mom..... BMW and Mercedes are still luxury (obviously) but you can still appear like you are economical. Blowing your money on a car really isn't worth it. Especially one that is that old.

The brakes alone on a Porsche will run you about 2500 for BRAKE PADS. Maintenance is a BITCH.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Quote:
I would personally advise against a Porsche. Go BMW or Mercedes. Porsche will come off as SUPER try hard to some (meaning most) women and you will only impress the gold diggers. And I highly doubt you are looking to buy a Porsche to impress your mom..... BMW and Mercedes are still luxury (obviously) but you can still appear like you are economical. Blowing your money on a car really isn't worth it. Especially one that is that old.

The brakes alone on a Porsche will run you about 2500 for BRAKE PADS. Maintenance is a BITCH.
But what if money isn't a problem? What if he isn't looking to impress women, but himself? Is a BMW or Merc more fun to drive? Porsche is more exclusive, especially compared to BMW!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

its not really about impressing chicks, I just think the car is sick and will be fun as hell to drive. My bank valued it at 38k, the seller says its 40k, edmunds blue book says its 44k. I'm gonna try to get em down to 25k, assuming I still want to buy it after I test it out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:34 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I'd only advise getting a porsche if you're loaded. They break down often and are crazy expensive to fix. When you're tired of it the price of it has depreciated so much that you're losing a lot of money. If you'd consider getting another car, what's your price range? I did valet a while at a high end resort, IMO, porsche's aren't really that great anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

price range is about 20-25k...my plan would be to own it for 12-18 months then sell it prior to deployment...hopefully I avoid the costly maintenance shit this way. I want a car thats fun as hell to drive, while I'm still young with minimal responsibility. Only thinking about this one cuz the owner is willing to sell it cheap since hes a family friend/rich old dude.