HOW TO HANDLE TROLLS: Read before participating in the forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Get Into The Game: New Forum Members Start Here » Introduce Yourself

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:27 pm 

Here at MPUAForum.com, we moderators take a strict stance against trolling. However, many members tend to fall victim to the occasional troll by playing right into his game. Before participating in the forum, read this post and arm yourself with the best weapon against any troll you may run into.

The following excerpt is from an article titled "5 Internet Life Lessons Parents Need to Start Teaching Kids" by John Cheese of Cracked.com. I am not the author of the following content.

Source: http://www.cracked.com/article_18861_5- ... -kids.html

Don't Feed the Trolls

Children, you have been raised in a culture of sitcoms and movie comedies where the ultimate act of coolness is to really put a jerk in his place with a hilarious insult. Therefore, you instinctively think that every jerk needs to be insulted. But communicating online requires you to specifically suppress this urge.

The reason, is trolls. A "troll" is someone who tries to instigate an argument or otherwise get a reaction from you by acting like an asshole. They usually aren't like that in real life, they basically write as a character as a way to get attention. Online, they are usually pretty easy to spot, but most people don't have the ability to react in the one absolute surefire way to shut them down: cold, dead silence.

So, if someone on a message board, or in a chat room, or article comment section posts about how much that particular website sucks and how every member there is an idiot, he's not expecting agreement or for the community to change based on his feedback. He's looking for that community to attack him. He wants the attention. He can't get love from the group, but he can get hate, and even hate is better than apathy.

Therefore, screaming insults at him only ensures that he'll continue doing what he's doing. If nobody responds to anything he says, he'll simply get bored and go away.

"Screw you guys. I didn't want to talk about Mr. Belvedere anyway."

It's so simple, yet incredibly hard to do. Every instinct in your body will scream for you to react, the same instinct that makes the other dogs in a pack attack the one acting like a fucktard. You must resist it.

Before you can even stop to think about what you're going to say, your fingers will be hammering out the perfect combination of letters to "put him in his place." Understand this: if you combined all of the languages from every life form on every developed planet in an infinite number of universes, you would not be able to construct a single sentence that would accomplish this goal.

He's not after an argument. He's after your response. Any response. If you hit that "enter" button, he automatically wins.

Of course it should go without saying that you should never allow yourself to be the troll. Again, it's harder than it sounds. You'll get bored, you'll run into a community that doesn't accept you and you'll see yourself as the wacky Animal House fraternity to their Dean Wormer. You're not. You'll just be the guy who draws dicks on the walls of public bathrooms.

Make some friends, get some hobbies, do something that gets you the right kind of attention so you don't have to resort to being the stain some bored moderator has to clean up.

At least the kids who smoke aren't shitting up our forums.

Read more: 5 Internet Life Lessons Parents Need to Start Teaching Kids | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_18861_5- ... z1kC1yj78N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:28 am 
New to MPUA Forum

this picture have a little terror.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:55 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Another way to annoy trolls or people hating is to just simply reply 'ok' and that is it lol they get really annoyed or just a simple :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Sometimes they'll just try and waste your time by asking stupid questions again and again. Like "whats a DHV?" and then "ok so whats a DLV"

Handle them with care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:03 am 
New to MPUA Forum

whats good Boogie in the building

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

I had a dude troll me on fb because of an image i posted in regard's to correct grammar being important,
His comment went something like this :
Troll: Why don't you get down off your hi horse jus coz i forget 2 use correct grammar does dat make me so bad?
I replied : No tom (random name) , i don't consider you a bad person, that it is a conclusion you came to all by yourself, and i don't think that you actually forgot, more than you just purposely didn't use correct grammar so as to post your comment.
He deleted his comment and has not trolled since.
good or bad? Was i wrong to feed the troll a tiny slice of truth?
I got some likes and stuff but that was far less relevant than actually getting this dude off my back, fingers crossed it stay's that way :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

hi every1 new to ths site loks interesting though see you around :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Note taken. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:22 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Down with Trolls!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:58 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Ya, OK, I'll reply to trolls with a OK, and that will be good enough I guess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:36 am 
New to MPUA Forum

New to the site....lm very excited in exchanging ideas with Fellow PUA's

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:08 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Hello,

I feel pleased to join this forum.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:50 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Ok i will listen to your advice and not be trolled and hopefully not be a troll maself. I'm very new to this site but i like the way it looks. I hope i get the most out of it :D

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Silence is the best weapon against Trolls but again if the target can be isolated by saying "We should go to a quieter place" or "I need to show you something"... then there is no way the Troll can bother anymore... but if the troll follows and continues to disturb, the target herself will shut the Troll out.... Don't worry the troll is only demonstrating DLV... just don't bother about him and pay your attention to the game...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:40 am 
New to MPUA Forum

I had created a person troll us about facebook as a result of a graphic my spouse and i submitted within regard's to improve syntax getting crucial,
His or her remark gone similar to this :
Troll: Why don't you obtain straight down away from your hello there moose ye coz my spouse and i forget about Only two employ right grammar will dat cause me to feel therefore poor?
My partner and i replied : Zero tom (arbitrary title) , i can't contemplate which you undesirable man or woman, that it is a conclusion a person found on your own, and i also do not think that you in fact did not remember, greater than you only deliberately didn't utilize appropriate syntax in an attempt to submit your opinion.
They erased his comment and has not really trolled since.
bad or good? Has been i wrong to move the actual troll a small portion associated with fact?