building voice tonality

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Body Language, Voice Tonality and Dress

Post subject: building voice tonality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:40 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey, I'm new so lets hope I'm not redoing a previous question, and If so point me the link of the thread.

I feel a big hold back for me in my game, and in dealing with people in general, is my lack of voice tonality- being able to vary it to have a wide range of emotion, instead of being stoic. I know people need to have this quality in order to have anyone hold interest in what their saying, rather its a story being told or picking up girls. without it I just sound boring, which is never good when dealing with women.

I really don't know why I can't range my voice or even tell if I'm varying my voice tonality or not. Maybe its from lack of confidence, maybe it's from being so quiet and not using my vocal skills as much as I should have when I was young. I don't really care, I'm just looking to improve it.

So basically, anyone have any advice for improvement in this area? Any programs to recommend, books to read? I actually took a voice/speech class here at my university but it only succeeded at teaching me the phonetic alphabet and using vowels correctly, neither of which was my goal.

Oh yeah, I also have an issue of talking too fast without realizing it, especially when I'm nervous, as well as mumbling on occasion.

Thanks,

-dodger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:04 pm 
Dedicated Member

To stop yourself from mumbling when someone asks you a question pause for about three seconds before answering back, it helps to stop the mumbling.

When talking try to speak with the same volume and speed of voice, it gives your voice this electronic feel like a newspresenter's and people tend to listen to you a lot more. Practice in front of a mirror.

After dojng what i said above, you can move on to talking with emotion. When for example you say " That is amazing" Put emphasis on the amazing and make it really sound like it's amazing. That is what public speakers do and that's why they can hold people's attention for a long amount of time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:28 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Hey man, you will fix this problem.

Here's a great idea for you. Find actors who use lots of voice variations, Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, Chris Rock, Vince Vaughn and any other actors you like. Find your favorite movies and begin doing impersonations of the charachters as you watch. Observe and repeat. Continue doing these until you begin assuming some of there vocal heights and lows.

Let me know how this works.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:00 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

I live Carpe Diem so some might not approve, but smoking is great for voice tonality. Try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:21 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Thanks for the responses. I think I can get it down but its just going to take an extreme amount of concentration all through-out my day. I've heard someone suggest that I should speak at 50% rate I normally do for a whole week, it's hard to keep up though.

com.solo, smoke what exactly? I might be already working on this aspect, depending.

I also have a mic on my computer I can use to record myself talking, although I'd like a way to record myself unconsciously through-out the day as I make conversation.

-d0dger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:20 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Yeah. Good speaking is quite easy if you keep the control. Talk at 50% speed, count to 3 before you speak. Don't make unnecessary movements with your head or hands. Smile if something pleases you, never any other time.

And smoking anything. Tobacco and weed both help to thicken the vocal cords giving you a deeper voice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:08 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey there. Lot's of good tips here. Here's a technique that really worked for me:

Grab a book or an article that is interesting and exciting and read it out loud. Be creative and dynamic when reading it; read it in such a way that it holds your own interest in the article or story. Record yourself and on playback enjoy your powerful presentation and great voice. Make adjustments on the next try, rinse, and repeat.

Golan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:55 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

The advice you've been given here is spot on. Except smoking, that's crazy. You can also get books / tapes @ libraries with training exercises. Vocal chords are muscle so can be strengthened with exercises. Speak from your diaphragm so your voice resonates in your chest.
It will take about 1 week to find the tone you want. Another 3-6 weeks to internalise it so you speak that way automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:06 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Thanks Kowalski.

And no, it's not crazy. Smoking does thicken your vocal cords, which gives you a deeper voice, which is more attractive. I'm not recommending smoking. I'm not particularly advising against it either. I'm a nihilist, and day to day enjoyment is more fulfilling than living your life as if heading towards some goal of a great life 40 years down the road. Weed is especially good, but tobacco deepens your voice too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:10 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

I smoke weed and cigs and would have it no other way! I find my voice very sexy and listen to my own voice mail message when I get bored. :wink:

What has been recommended is good. I like the thing about reading an article out loud to yourself. Thats what its all about anyways; practice. Talk to yourself out loud when youre alone, or on a the bus just to fuck with people. Experiment. Might be healthier than smoking too.

Swoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:08 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I did mean it's crazy to smoke, not that it doesn't affect the vocal chords.
We're all a little crazy though :?

Although smoking may make your voice deeper you will have reduced range, and clarity. Therefore, as we should be working towards a variety of tones for the characters in our stories, to express a wide range of emotions, and for the random sounds you might want to make, smoking to improve your voice is not a good idea.

Plus coughing is quite unattractive, and a sign of poor health. Lets not forget that it smells pretty bad, also unattractive.

On the flip side, smoking can be quite sexy (sucking on a fallic object).

The next bit has nothing to do with pick-up (except that girls dig intellectuals):
I'm not sure why a nihilist would be looking for pleasure now.
Nihilists believe there is no objective value or meaning in the world, hedonists believe that you should pursue pleasure and avoid pain. And although half of hedonism is about pleasure, it's not necessarily about pleasure now.
Avoiding pain is largely about the alleviation of desire, want or need. As the body is in a constant state of need (oxygen, food, etc.), you can never be without need as long as you are alive. In Greek times some hedonists were convinced to commit suicide as this is the only way to escape need.
(I love philosophy) :D

:D (I also love you all) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:08 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Ah, I love philosophers :lol:

So yeah, smoking deepens the voice, and true it does a little damage. But come on bro, everyone knows how sexy a deep voice is, and coupled with my British accent, I get IOIs just by speaking on my cellphone on a metro 8)

And if you're healthy, as long as you don't smoke your lungs to hell and back, you won't cough. Everything in order.

And your views of it as unattractive is subjective. For instance, scars are considered attractive even though it's a 'sign of unhealth'... furthermore, smoking can (depending on character/lifestyle/dress) be a sign of a bad-boy lifestyle which is attractive.

And yes, your point about nihilism is true, I should have been more specific. I have nihilistic tendencies in my views. I don't believe we have a particular purpose in life, or that our existence is significantly more than an accident of nature. Thus our primary, and only (arguably) purpose in life is to be an evolutionary success. Spread our genes, and have fun doing it. In this vein, smoking doesn't harm me.

But as you pointed out, this isn't true nihilism. Indeed, I believe in a higher power which isn't true nihilism. Thanks for keeping me sharp : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:02 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I've never been to the US :(

Friends of mine who have tell me that being English is a massive DHV. I'm told all you have to do is ask hot girls the time, and they just start creaming straight away "OMG are you from England? That's so cool". A couple of friends were in NY for 6 weeks this summer and they never paid for their own drinks once 8)

So Dodger, maybe you should try developing an English accent :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:10 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

yeah that's true.

without demeaning america i'd fairly claim that for the most part americans are dumber than brits and most english guys have a much better idea of how to treat a woman than average yanks. but that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:07 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Quote:
without demeaning america i'd fairly claim that for the most part americans are dumber than brits and most english guys have a much better idea of how to treat a woman than average yanks. but that's just me.
haha, is this a joke? Lets not forget James Bond is fiction.

A foreign accent is going to boost your value regardless. I have a wonderful American accent :wink: and when I went to Europe recently, I got tons of IOIs on the way I talked because its different than what chicks over there were used to. Its that simple.

As for the notion we're dumber than you redcoats, lol, I think you disproved that one on your own, mate!

Swoop