Moving to a place with low living costs - please advise...

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Real Life Gaming » Meet Up & Wing » Europe

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:44 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

I am a Danish guy who works as a freelance translator, and since I can more or less do that from anywhere (because I'm getting tasks via the internet) I am of course thinking about moving to some fantastic country where the costs of living are not as high as in Denmark... So if you live in a fantastic place, and you think it's almost a crime that I am not there to wing you and take part in all the fun, please let me know...

-European countries are preferable because of the proximity thing

-Low rent is important: The cheaper the apartment, the less I have to work - and the more energy/time I will have to approach women

-Silence: if the local culture is all about honking cars and playing loud music at home, this is not ideal, since I will be working a home

-A nice beach would be OK ;)

-Crime and violence are not a plus...

-A friendly population is preferable

-Pollution is not so good - I like clean air!

-A university in town is a plus, because I like smart women, but it could be a minus if it makes the small apartments (or rooms) more expensive... a tourist resort full of such girls could be just fine as well

Spain was actually my first thought, because I speak the language alright (studied for 5 months in Granada), but a sole trader/autónomo has to pay 260 euros a month as social security contributions (although not as much during the first 13 months if I remember correctly), and that's just loco...

So I have considered Sunny Beach in Bulgaria (although there seems to be a good deal of organised crime going on? I read about that on a Danish site and then found this: 19 Tips on Sunny Beach Warnings or Dangers - Stay Safe! ).

But maybe the city of Varna to the north or Burgas to the south could be a good choice - any thoughts?

Czech Republic could be interesting, because it's relatively close to Denmark, but how cheap is the rent? And Poland is even closer, but are the girls a bit on the religious side or something? I just never had much luck with them (mostly when contacting them online)...

I also thought about Hungary and Budapest, but the purity levels of air and drinking water are not ideal, it seems, and there is no beach (although there are some nice lakes, I believe).

I have yet to research Croatia and Malta but they could be interesting options (so could Portugal and Italy although they might be a bit on the expensive and far away side). And if you live in a small country and I need to know about the place, I'm all ears/eyes!

And sorry if I offended any nationalities - please correct me if my prejudices are too crazy :)