Confidence Building Technique

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Inner Game » Beliefs and Confidence Building, Self-Esteem, and General Inner Game

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:33 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

One of the hardest parts of getting in the swing of the Game, especially for new players, is the inner game. Confidence is something does not just happen over night and internalizing that self-assuredness is one of the first things a successful PUA needs to learn. But how does one work on building confidence? A good portion of this forum is out to answer that question and I'm going to throw my own two cents in.

I used to be a threatre major and one of the techniques I was taught to get into character was to associate a specific emotion of mind-set with an object i.e. scarf, hat, glasses, etc...And the idea was wheneve the object was dawned, the praticed emotion or mind-set would come out and take over. This is a good learning technique for anyone looking to get out more and build their confidence but who get anxious or nervous (and who doesnt?) The trick is to build up confidence through pratice. Also, this technique can be used hand in hand with peacocking, since an entire outfit can be thrown together to compliment your overall game.

Second, coupled with the item of choice (in my case, it's usually one of my many crazy hat) a pseudomyn can add to the character. Associating strong characteristics (CAP for example), with your PUA name, you in essence create a character within yourself. Throw every strong characteristic you want to see amplified into this charater and play him to the best of your ability. It wont be easy at first, but over time the ability to flip the switch on and off will become second nature and when that happens, the qualities you gave your character are now your own to use when you like.

This is a technique that is used by many theatre students to get into the role of a character who had emotions, characteristics, or drives that the student did was not familiar with. By praticing and spending time in the shoes of someone with confidence, confidence will become something atainable and even famililar.

If you have any questions on something specific or something similar, I am more than willing to help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:11 pm 

Good Post. It seems like with I dawn my rings before I go out the switch is flipped. I know what you mean by you are getting into character. Paramour knows me well on the site, and has listen to me get ready. She notices the change in my attitude while I get ready. I go from "ho hum drone woker" to "supastar, bad ass, king of the world, J Smooth!" 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:18 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

AOL: K1ngB1lly+A
Damn that was a badass post. I'm going have to practice this. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:35 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

this will be interesting to try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:58 am 
Dedicated Member

Excellent post. I'm really interested in learning how the best actors get into character. Are there any books you would recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:13 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Chio, I have been looking for books on the topic and I cannot find something book wise that reflects my theory. There are books on character acting and there are books on addition of props to character creation, but nothing on the projection of an emotion into a specific prop. The idea came actually from an improv game that I used to play in drama class. I took the basis of the game and twisted it into what i posted above. If you want, I can get you a list of some good character acting books, but I was not able to find anything that similar to my theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:22 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Spark, I am right on track with what you are getting at here. I myself have had a similar theory for about 3-4 years (even before I got into the pick-up community) just for getting up and facing the day. In high school I had the alias "White Chedda" as a joke off of a Pringles can. Whenever I was either doing a presentation or in some sort of competition I would go into "WC mode" and escalate to that energy level.

I believe that this is a bigger reason for most of us creating our own avatars for ourselves or one another. Our PUA names carry with them the traits and talents that we make desirable to ourselves and others. When we rename ourselves, we automatically become what we really want to be.

Many people are forced to conform to social norms in the "real world" because of careers and other obligations...But when it's time to shine, we become someone else.

I mean, Clark Kent doesn't go into Hero Mode and be "The Amazing Average Dude with Exceptional Super Powers!" He gets into uniform (Peacocking for us PUA's) and becomes "The Amazing SUPERMAN!!!" (Avatar time!)

Mystery. Style. Shreder. Spark. J-Smooth...It's all a mindset and a way of life that we have honorably taken part in. Our avatar becomes our shield emblem in medieval times, our flag during pirate times, our badge of honor for the cowboys. It's an identity...

Suit up fellas. It's go time. -Shreder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:58 am 
New to MPUA Forum

awesome post Shreder. that's right boys, it's time to suit up. Be who you want to. No one says you can't be that dude you wanna be. Just do it, goddammit. Any rebuttle that begins with "But I can't..." is bullshit. Knock that off and get into state. Be who you want. No one can tell you want you can be. Make it for your own. Peace boys, keep gaming, it gives me a great satisfaction belonging to a community (not a cult as some put it) that empowers its members.