How sleezy is Gambler?.. "this is free(i can't believe

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:08 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

So I get an email from the forum titled "this is free (i can't believe it!)." The email goes on to say how Gambler is giving his book away for free. I click on the link and watch the video explaining how to get it for free. While watching the video Gambler says how although the book is 1 penny it costs a couple of pounds for shipping. I thought to myself, "Well now that seems reasonable, otherwise he would actually lose money."

So I go ahead through the purchase process on Amazon. Every step of the way I carefully check the total price. After all these spam emails are usually scams, but I relatively trust this site (or trusted I should say). Not until the very last screen where one more button click would finalize the purchase does it show me the total price in fine print. The price on the shipping is now seven pounds, or fourteen dollars!!! What a sleezy scam Gambler. Where is your self respect? How many poor souls got tricked into buying a book you can't sell legitimately?

Up until this moment Gambler was one of the most respected gurus in my mind. He has some excellent videos on body language for free on youtube for example. Anyone else get this email? What do you guys think?

P.S. I should add that I unsubscribed from forum emails a dozen times over the past 6 months and they keep sending them anyways. Great job guys!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:14 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

yup the shipping is a little high but look at it this way, you wanted the book you were given an opportunity to see the prices all the way through and the final price is less than if you buy it in a shop.

So to summarize you are given the opportunity to buy the book for less than in shops if you want it.

I don't see where the fiendishness comes in. The only remotely misleading part is the fact that it says you can get the book for 1p with no (not including postage and packaging) but meh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:35 pm 
Homewrecker

I moved your thread to Reviews. Please post in the appropriate sections.

Your boy,

http://tinyurl.com/c6lbje<-Member Journal (PMZ Only)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:43 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I disagree with having this moved. My goal is not to review a product, but to comment on Gambler's practices.

-GC Blue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm 
Homewrecker

You provided your description of the services rendered and asked others if they had a similar experience--that's a review by definition, so I stand by my decision.

That said, I am the newest kid on the mod block, so if you feel like I've unfairly slighted you by moving your post out of the lounge, you're welcome to PM another mod to appeal my choice. If they are persuaded by your argument, the thread can easily be moved back in a matter of seconds, and I promise not to interfere or make a fuss ;)

I have seen Gambler answer critics of his company in this section in the past, though, so if you want to hear an explanation from the man himself, you might want to keep it here.

Your boy,

http://tinyurl.com/c6lbje<-Member Journal (PMZ Only)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:38 pm 
Master PUA

Hey GC,

I understand what you are saying, the amazon shipping price is quite high to the US. It is actually variable based on location, so people in the UK get the book for 1p + £2.75 (I believe), and people in Europe pay £3.50 or so. Amazon is in control of the checkout, when the shipping price is displayed, etc.

This order and payment processing go completely through amazon. I sign the books, and someone works in the office to pack and ship them. The wholesale cost of the book is £3.55, so even if you were Amazon buying the books, you'd end up paying more. UK Retail price is £7.99, the book is unavailable in other countries, and I tried to add some value by signing them.

I'd like to have US distrubution too, but there are a couple of big logistical obstacles to me offering a 1 cent book in the near future.

Anyone who is in the US who thinks they have paid too much shipping, I'd be happy to refund $5 of the price, just send a SPAM money request to me at amog.pua@gmail.com and i'll take care of it personally.

In terms of mailing lists etc, there is a link on all mails to "unsubscribe". This should obviously work, but is not a manual process. Lists are managed by the mailing company (usually their name is at the bottom) and it's possible to sign up for multiple lists with the same company if they have different offers that you register for.

My philosophy on the mailing list at PUAT is to give much more free content than anyone else, the ratio is more than 5 piece of good content to every email about a product. I generally get feedback that people like our list a lot. If you have any comments on stuff like this i'd be happy to hear them, but then again running a business requires customers so we have to tell people about products now and again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

If you don't like the price then simply don't buy it. $14 for a book shipped is not expensive at all. If you want to take issue with anyone over shipping costs, it should be Amazon.com They're the ones distributing the book and shipping it out.

~Antithesis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I ordered it 2 weeks ago and haven't got it yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I totally agreed with Gambler. I got his book for £2.76 (in the UK) and I thought it would be a scam right up untill the signed copy came through my door. It is amazon who is adding on the shipping. If you buy anything in the UK and try to get it sent to the US you are going to get raped for P&P. Same goes for us in the UK buying things in the US.

BTW his emails really are good. He gives away loads of free information and you never get the emails like in Stylelife were it is interupted halfway through and you have to pay $250 dollars or some crazy amount to read the rest. All his articles are complete and sure you get some advertising but it's very low key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:37 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

International shipping for a 1 pound book is around 10 dollars
so yah it is actually a good deal may take a month or three to get from UK to US though, unless you have it shipped as priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:23 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

a friend of mine got the deal (i had got the book from borders ages so was pointless for me to buy a second copy)and after shipping fees it was still pretty cheep and cost alot less than when i bought it`s also worth noting the book was from amzon.co.uk (the british end)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:07 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

I have ordered mine 2 weeks ago and have not even got a shipping confirmation.
I am leaving for college within a week and I'm afraid I wont get it by then.

How long does it take to ship to US?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:59 pm 

I was able to order my copy without much problem at all. It took a little bit to arrive but it was worth the wait. Great Book!

Thanks Gambler.

Jon