Get more manly without much $$$

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:35 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

I look "soft", a little pudgy even, which also makes me look really young, like I'm 12 (I'm 18). But I don't have the money to get myself to a gym or a trainer anything and frankly, I'd be embarrassed to go. Can I get a "harder" look with just push ups and sit-ups etc?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 pm 
King Among Mortals

Yes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:37 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

What I used to do when I was in your shoes:
- invest in a pair of 20lb dumbbells (less than $50, they'll serve you for many years), or if you're really broke even just a pair of 3 gallons water bottles;
- spend 15 minutes 5 times a week (say at the end of the day, before shower time) doing either curls, push-ups or sit-ups (just one exercise on a given a day), 10 sets of X repetitions with 60s rest between the sets. Start with a number of repetitions you can achieve, then increase the number of repetition until you cannot finish the last set.
- be extra careful with your position, especially keep your back straight: check out websites, check yourself out in a mirror. Last thing you want is to hurt yourself in the process.
- eat healthy, and if you want to gain mass three boiled eggs right after exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:15 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Thank you! I can get weights, at least this will get me started in some direction!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

+1 for dumbbells! The best and only workout equipment you'll ever need. Forget about fancy gym equipment, most are just a waste of money.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:46 pm 
Dedicated Member

I've been going to the gym regularly for a few years, and thankfully will never have a weight problem. But I've read a lot about obesity and diet recently bc my dad had 90% fat occlusions in his coronaries and yet he is stick skinny. We all asked how is this possible since on the outside my dad is not fat? The answer is diet. I will never forget years ago he was eating nothing but pancakes and a sugar filled coffee for breakfast. When my dad was on his "SPAM diet" to keep his cholesterol (fat) down, he was much healthier. Unfortunately he didn't stick too it.

Bad body fat accumulation has very little to do exercise is almost entirely due to intake of refined carbs (man made products that have been stripped of their natural nutrients) such as soda, breads, McDonald's buns, high fructose corn syrup, etc. because the body can't use all of the energy that is put into it when you have these things, it is stored as fat. Cut out these types of things and you will shed weight like nothing. It's honestly criminal national governments have not stepped in to stop the endemic poisoning of 1st world countries...

If you cut that stuff out and do basic lifts and you will likely lose almost all your belly fat (the worst type) and have a very solid upper body for the ladies.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:36 am 
PUA Forum Leader

That is interesting masterm1ne. What is your diet like if you don't mind me asking? Organics?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:27 am 

Quote:
I look "soft", a little pudgy even, which also makes me look really young, like I'm 12 (I'm 18). But I don't have the money to get myself to a gym or a trainer anything and frankly, I'd be embarrassed to go. Can I get a "harder" look with just push ups and sit-ups etc?
You can, however it is exponentially more difficult to encourage hypertrophy with body weight exercises as doing any hypertrophy training under 70% of your one rep maximum weight is not only less optimal, but requires much more mental fortitude as psychologically people tend to reach a peak of stress on their nervous system, long before they have done enough work to actually encourage hypertrophy when maintaining physical tension under 70% of 1RM.

If all you want is to lose some weight, then yes, anything that gets the body moving burns calories. If you want to improve your body composition however and stimulate the growth of lean body mass, it is not only easier, but more efficient as well to use a gym, as you can easier track your progress and progress with linear progressive overload (adding 2.5lbs to each weight every 1-2 weeks), as apposed to trying to get in one extra pushup.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:01 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

buy a monthly ticket for mma or muay thai, you can lose fat and get lean and fit with martial arts hiit trainigs.

prices are from 40€ - 60€ ... its not that much

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:52 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

I completely agree with the votes for dumbbells. They are cheap and effective. I picked up an adjustable set at Walmart years ago (6-24lbs) for about $25. I'll use them in supersets (combo exercises).

Diet is also huge. There's a million different theories but the simplest way is just to avoid processed food and don't overeat.

And if you want to get a harder look and you have access, find something to hit like a punching bag. I've always worked out, but my body always looked harder when my workouts included some kind of impact work like martial arts or boxing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:24 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Assuming you have only floor space I'll give you a workout with a less than $50 biweekly budget.

mwf = monday wednesday friday [doesn't have to be those specific days as much a in a 7 day period you work out day 1, 3, and 5 while you use days 2, 4, 6, and 7 to rest]
daily = you're not stupid, you know what it means
m-f = monday through friday [or just day 1-5 with 2 days of rest on day 6 and 7].

Get some duct tape, phone books, and rolls from a paper towel. You're going to duct tape the roll. Then tape take each end and tape it to the phone books. Now you've got some dumb bells. When they get too light for you duct tape more phone books to them.

mwf

-3 sets of pyramid push-ups.
Drop down and do a perfect form push up, keep your back straight. Now stand up and take a deep breath in, then slowly breath out. Now do 2 push-ups, breath in and out twice. Then 3, then 4, etc. until you get to a set you cannot complete. This is half a set of pyramid push-ups.

Do 100 crunches with your knees bent at a 45 degree angle [or if you can't do 100 do as many as you can].

Now, back to the last half of the pyramid push-ups. Start off with the last set you completed and work your way down, but when you get to the set of 1 at the bottom do as many as you can.

Do crunches again.

Repeat this 2 more times and you're done with the pyramid push-ups. Tomorrow you get a break, back again on wed, break on thurs, end of the workout week on friday with a 2 day weekend to go meet some lady's.

Pyramid Squats, curls, and you'll get in pretty decent shape.

m-f
Run a mile. Stay on your toes and make sure you travel 1 whole mile, don't forget to stretch.

Daily
200 crunches

now that $50 is going to go to buying eggs and chicken.
mwf you want to consume more protein and you want it asap from after you've worked out. And this should get you in decent shape.