A Game of Strength.

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

Post subject: A Game of Strength.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:44 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Hey guys! Over the last few weeks me and OTIS have been debating over diet and exercise, when it comes to strength training. However, rather than theory craft and argue over different people's interruption of the science of exercise and diet, we have decided to play a little game, and test each others theory against each other.

In other words, I will be performing the type of diet and exercise I believe best to gaining strength, and OTIS will be performing his. (I'd like to note this is not meant to be a flame war between the two of us, we are both passionate about exercise and we simply wish to push ourselves and see who can obtain the most gains using our preferred method).

The Game will Last four months, with a progress update every four weeks.

So, I will begin to list what I am doing for Diet and Exercise.

My diet (Primal) will push for a non grain carb based diet, where meat, veggies, and natural fats (With a moderate intake of fruits and high fat dairy) are what make up my calorie intake.

My exercise will include High Intensity training (HIT), and High Intensity interval training (HIIT).

My Play (a aspect of exercise that being primal pushes as well) well include Tai Chi, and Ballroom Dancing.

Well, I wish OTIS the best of luck, and I hope that these next four months be a life changing experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

Alright I'm doing a undulating periodization volume training split with an offseason bulking diet.
Macros are at Carbs 300-350 grams a day, protein 200-230 a day, fats 30-50 grams a day.

Looking forward to posting results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:38 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Interesting experiment. Results will be flawed though. You may have different body types, testosterone levels, metabolism, etc. that will skew results.

My prediction: assuming you two have the exact same body composition and are equally dedicated to this experiment, the OP will be much leaner, well conditioned and have greater stamina. However, since this is a "strength" challenge, I can't see the OP winning. Eating tons of food, bulking and doing splits all increase strength greater than intervals and a low carb diet.

Good luck to you both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:18 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

Quote:
Interesting experiment. Results will be flawed though. You may have different body types, testosterone levels, metabolism, etc. that will skew results.

My prediction: assuming you two have the exact same body composition and are equally dedicated to this experiment, the OP will be much leaner, well conditioned and have greater stamina. However, since this is a "strength" challenge, I can't see the OP winning. Eating tons of food, bulking and doing splits all increase strength greater than intervals and a low carb diet.

Good luck to you both.
Spot on. Doing a true experiment involving performance or muscular gains has so many variables to take into account, but we will be focusing solely on strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:35 pm 
THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Yahoo Messenger: xncxrockstar
Quote:

Good luck to you both.
Biochemistry says you don't need calories to build muscle, as long as OP has the body fat to take a defiect he can gain muscles just as fast if not FASTER being calorie defecient.

However I do agree the variables in genetics makes this flawed but should be fun to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:10 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck to you both.
Biochemistry says you don't need calories to build muscle, as long as OP has the body fat to take a defiect he can gain muscles just as fast if not FASTER being calorie defecient.

However I do agree the variables in genetics makes this flawed but should be fun to watch.
Over half a century of bodybuilding for millions of gym goers contradicts what biochemistry is saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:39 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Quote:
Biochemistry says you don't need calories to build muscle.
you're kidding right...?

Post subject: fitness tips
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:02 am 
New to MPUA Forum

These are the main tips for fitness and to be healthy in life:
1. Keep Exercise before work
2. Brush your teeth after meals
3. Interval Training
4. Measure your food to keep track of proteins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:32 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck to you both.

Theoretically, true.

But out in the real world? it just doesn't work that way. Sure, if you're 200lbs overweight and start training on a deficit, yes you'll gain a bit of muscle. But not much.

I think after you go below 20% fat it's pretty much impossible.

Post subject: Re: fitness tips
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

Quote:
These are the main tips for fitness and to be healthy in life:
1. Keep Exercise before work
2. Brush your teeth after meals
3. Interval Training
4. Measure your food to keep track of proteins
Massive simplifications and broscience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:32 pm 
THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck to you both.

Theoretically, true.

But out in the real world? it just doesn't work that way. Sure, if you're 200lbs overweight and start training on a deficit, yes you'll gain a bit of muscle. But not much.

I think after you go below 20% fat it's pretty much impossible.

My own experience says other wise. I am under 20% calorie defcient and increasing all my lifts week by week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:16 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

HIIT!?

OTIS is going to win.

Pump out those squats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:23 am 
THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Whatever happened to this? Weren't result suppose to be posted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

I have them written in my workout journal, it is just I am currently in and out of my home state due to work, and am having a hard time finding the time to transfer all my records from paper to computer.

the-adventures-of-ilium-vt134843.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Also, instead of jumping to conclusions some of you should have asked how often I do Strength training vs HIIT. You would have found out that I do HIIT 1-2 x a week, and I am doing this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian- ... rainer.htm for strength training.

As for results, I can say that I am down 34 lbs, and up in lifting all my weights. Also, within 3 weeks (I'll be done with the last of my exercise by than) I'll post all my records.

the-adventures-of-ilium-vt134843.html