Don't know how to live on my own

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Building an Attractive Lifestyle

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:07 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Admitting to this as a 23 year old is going to leave me quite vulnerable, but I have to fix this. My problem is I don't know how to live on my own. I was raised by mentally ill parents, and they literally taught me NOTHING during my entire life. They are not capable of teaching.

I am absolutely retarded when it comes to this subject.

At this point in time, I don't know anything about insurance, finances, taxes, cars, houses, banking, really anything to do with money beyond how to count it.

So my question is, what resources can I use to learn how to live on my own? Like books for example. What resources do you recommend? I need more than just a few tips. I need to learn the whole 9 yards. And please, no jokes, i'm not bullshitting here. Appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:54 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Quote:
Admitting to this as a 23 year old is going to leave me quite vulnerable, but I have to fix this. My problem is I don't know how to live on my own. I was raised by mentally ill parents, and they literally taught me NOTHING during my entire life. They are not capable of teaching.

I am absolutely retarded when it comes to this subject.

At this point in time, I don't know anything about insurance, finances, taxes, cars, houses, banking, really anything to do with money beyond how to count it.

So my question is, what resources can I use to learn how to live on my own? Like books for example. What resources do you recommend? I need more than just a few tips. I need to learn the whole 9 yards. And please, no jokes, i'm not bullshitting here. Appreciate your help.
Trial and error is the solution to most shit in life my dude. Parents cannot hold your hand man. I'm 21 and most of the shit I know is down to my own doing. My father might have gone to the bank with me to open my first bank account but all the nitty gritty, that's down to me taking interest. Insurance and taxes, all you need to know should be available over the phone or on official government websites etc.

Google will help you with general shit man.

With regards to money and shit, Rich Dad Poor Dad is a great book although not the how to guide you're looking for. It's a business geared book but it talks about taxes, money and what not. It's a great book to get yourself in the know. It shows you what it takes to be rich and what prevents people from being rich. And I mean, none of the stuff you mention is a problem when you have the right amount of money right? It's one of my all time favourite books and a pretty quick read at that too.

-D

I was featured in Brad's weekly mPUA Forum email for 14/08/15: http://i.imgur.com/Axh5r1D.jpg

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:49 pm 
English Muffin

There is a youtube tutorial on just about everything in life

Wish I had youtube in my youth, I am assuming you're pretty young?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:15 pm 
King Among Mortals

Financial counselor = Hot intern?? Win Win

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:03 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Sorry to hear that dude. That's quite a lot of info, you can find most of it on Google or Youtube. Search "how to set up a bank account", or "how to buy car insurance", etc. If you have specific questions that you can't find elsewhere, I bet people here would be happy to help. Feel free to PM me, I'm pretty good with that stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:06 pm 
King Among Mortals

Quote:
Sorry to hear that dude. That's quite a lot of info, you can find most of it on Google or Youtube. Search "how to set up a bank account", or "how to buy car insurance", etc. If you have specific questions that you can't find elsewhere, I bet people here would be happy to help. Feel free to PM me, I'm pretty good with that stuff.
Quote:
Posted: Wed May 18, 2016

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:53 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Quote:
Admitting to this as a 23 year old is going to leave me quite vulnerable, but I have to fix this. My problem is I don't know how to live on my own. I was raised by mentally ill parents, and they literally taught me NOTHING during my entire life.
That's a very difficult question to answer without more information. It's great that you realize you need some help with making those decisions, but we pretty much all do. As others have mentioned, youtube and google are great places to start and with being on here, you obviously know how to use a computer so I believe you are selling yourself short on how much knowledge you really do have.

In my opinion, a good place to start is with a bank account because in today's world, it is almost necessary for any major transaction. Even many jobs only have direct deposit as a payment method. It isn't difficult, just walk into a bank and say that you would like to open a new account. Someone will be there to help you with that and answer any questions you may have about how to use it. Same goes with buying a house or insurance, a realtor or representative will be able to answer any questions in person and walk you through the whole process.