PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:36 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Hi, everyone.

I believe I've hit on a most promising kind of opener. See, one thing I've long been interested in doing is to be able to speak Victorian English the way people do in Shakepeare's plays. To that end, I've found an audio collection of his complete works on a torrent site and I listen to them from time to time. I'm also just getting into NLPoetry as well and it occurred to me that I could use these as an opener. A lot of chicks dig poetry, so you could try asking if any of them knows a line from a famous monologue from one of Shakespeare's plays. For example:

PUA: "Hey, lemme ask you guys somethin'. This's been drivin' me nuts all night. Do any of you remember the closing monologue from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'? I swear I know that who thing except for one or two lines. It starts out with 'If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended; that you have but slumbered here while these visions did appear...' and I can't remember the next line. Any of you guys know what comes after that?"

Whaddaya think? Too esoteric? I think I may have a problem if none of them knows the line. Any recommendations on what to do in that case? I think from there, you could segway into a routine about poetry. I think asking if anybody has any good poems memorized is a good idea. I know I've got a really romantic one from a cousin's wedding that'll just make um melt if I can find a congruent excuse to recite it. Plus, I can throw out some NLPoetry. Any recommendations on how to segway from Shakespeare into the poetry discussion? I know that one should be easy, but I just came up with this idea a few minutes ago and I wanted to throw it out there and get some feedback. Thanks guys; and to those who will use this, you're welcome. :)