Forum rules

Relationship Subforum Rules

1. Posts about how to get a girlfriend will result in a ban.

2. Posts about your ex-girlfriend will result in a ban.

3. Any other posts not related to your current girlfriend will result in a ban.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:58 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

well... where to begin. i don't know how you guys feel about being friends after a break-up, but i am confident that it's possible. i have only had 2 really serious relationships, and both didn't end well.

the first guy, let's call him bob, was awesome. we broke up and we stayed friends, even though we ewre both really hurt by the whole situation.

my other ex just called me today and we have become friends again.

both of them are with girls now, and both have seemed to move on. i just wondered what the general take is on being friends with exes. and can i befriend the new girlfriends?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:02 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

it's possible as long as both people have truly moved on.
but if feelings are still present then being friends won't work out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:37 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Simply can't be done. The only ex I ever interacted with after the relationship was over was the one I didn't really care about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:00 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

AOL: platnumvip88
Everyone will have different opinions as to whether it is a good thing or not. Truth is; every situation is different and often times it can only make things worse then you left it when the relationship was over. I've tried to befriend my most recent ex but things have been awkward due to the fact we seem so distant with her being in a new state.

Being friends with the new girlfriends is a definitely out of the question. You're relationship with the girl will always be superficial and the ex I'm sure will hate it. I would stay away from the girlfriends and if you can have healthy relationships with the ex's, go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:49 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

i know that everyone has different opinions on this. it's just something that strikes an interesting cord with me.

good to know about not being friends with the new gf though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:16 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

I have an ex that I'm friends with. Since we used to date, it's only natural that we have better-than-average rapport and kino, and I can use this to my advantage at bars, because I have a girl that I can playfully touch and make laugh, which is good social proof and gives you more confidence. However, it can be tricky because you probably don't want to blatantly go around hitting on every HB because then she'll get jealous and you might compromise the relationship.

But it can be done, although it might take some time after the break-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

There's too many moving parts to say if exes can be friends. If theres genuine mutual repect for one another, then I guess it could. Personally, I've found no benefit in having exes as friends. Too many old emotions come back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:06 pm 
Moderator Emeritus

too many variables to say if it is possible or not.

Either way, it will probably not be a smooth friendship, and more than likely someone is going to try and hook up with the other again.
Case and point: how-to-hook-up-with-the-ex-vt36093.html And I've seen this time and time again. Hell, I have been there and wanted that. Almost all the cases I've heard of or known of, the guy is going to maintain the friendship either in hopes of recreating the relationship, or having a friendship with the possibility of closing again.

But if the respect is there and it was a mutual breakup, then why not at least give it a shot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Personally, I'm friends with some exes, and others that I have no connection with anymore. I have thought about this before and why I am with some and not with all. I've broken it down into 2 situations.

The first is friends before the relationship. When you are friends with someone before you began the relationship, then you have built that kind of relation. Its difficult to go back to the friendship depending on how much the relationship meant to you, but it can be done.

The second is not-friends before the relationship. This is the type of relationship that started with dating and progressed into something with commitment. I find it is impossible to maintain a friendship afterwards. if you weren't friends to begin with then you have to build that relationship and it can become to difficult for both parties considering what they had before.