PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:09 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

I would like to suggest that we all get away from opinion openers. What made opinion openers work for the 1st time. Well, I may be wrong but I don't really think that anyone was sitting around saying I know what we'll do. We'll ask a set a question invovling their opinion on some intersting or silly topic and we'll all get to talking and laughing and then we're in! On the contrary, I think that the 1st guy found himself in a SITUATION where a debate was occuring in a private conversation and being a friendly social guy he floated the question to a set nearby. It worked so well that he remembered it. Refined the concept and replicated it over and over.

Here's the problem. It's contrived. The 1st time it was spontaneous the 31st time it was contrived. Remember the only purpose of the opener is to begin a conversation where there is none. Whatever "method" you subscribe to they all move from opener to some level of DHV after you've struck up a conversation. Why do Style and Mystery advocate a time constraint? Becuause they themselves acknoweldge that there is a moment at the beginning of the interaction where the set is wondering "who is this guy and when will he leave?" Especially when you are asking odd opener like "what shoul my friend name his two dogs?"

So...be spontaneous. If you have trouble with this, just engage strangers in conversation about something that you both have in common. Men Women, Senior citizens. Become so unafraid of talking to strangers that "opening" isn't something you think about or prepare for. You simply as part of your social outgoing nature open everyone. If you have trouble with this just open people about the weather or the local sports team or whatever and then walk away.

Situational Openers are the future of PU. Yes they require a bit more spontanaity. You have to think on your feet but hey that's what you are doing in the rest of the pick up anyway, so do it now too. My favorite place to sarge these days is a sports bar on tuesday nights when they have Karaoke night. Now I have something in common with EVERY SET in the building EVERYONE is aware of the people on stage singing whether it's good or bad. So why ask someone in that bar about dental floss or jealous girlfriends,when you could just lean over to the set nearby and say "wow she's really good eh?" or "this song always makes me laugh"..again all I'm looking for is acceptance. If the person I open says "yeah i know what you mean" or "no I like this song" now we're communicating. All of a sudden it's "so how do you guys all know each other.blah blah blah." and we're off to the races.

Opinion openers are a crutch they were designed to help newbies overcome approach anxiety. Plain and simple.

OMG openers (credit STYLE & Juggler) are openers where you comment on something in the here and now. The original OMG opener was "OMG did you see those 2 girls fighting outside?" or how about "OMG where did you get that shirt? I used to have that one and some girl I dated stole it" They are the best when you are working with NO material.

So I'm very intersted to see what you all think about this.Been away for a while dealing with oneitis glad to be back.

Later,
Cutter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:54 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

I think opinion openers are still valid, but you're right.. it helps when they're more spontaneous. Eg, last night there was a girl who kept grabbing my Wing's ass, which he didn't appreciate. He came over to me and said "HELP!" at that point I said loudly enough for the set I was with to hear, "is she STILL grabbing your ass?"... then I turned to them and started asking their opinion on whether it's okay for girls to grab a guy's ass vs guy's grabbing a girl's ass. Sure, it's a canned opener/routine, but in this case it was true.

Also, certain topics don't mesh with me (eg, "we need rapper dog names", "dental floss"). To me, it doesn't make sense to be asking strangers these things. It needs relevance - it needs to be grounded. One canned one I use quite regularly is a variation of Style's sweater opener which is based off of a real situation in my life..

"I'm currently working in Europe, so my friend back home (chick) is looking after my house. Her and her husband (so they don't think I'm into her) are coming to visit me in a few weeks and I want to get her a really nice sweater, but I'm not sure what size to get.. S or M"

For me, it works because there's truth in it. It's relevant.

If you're a total AFC and you're learning and you NEED the canned openers, use them. That's what they're there for. The goal of a canned opener, as I see it, is not to open the set, but to give you the CONFIDENCE to open the set.
Quote:
OMG openers (credit STYLE & Juggler) are openers where you comment on something in the here and now. The original OMG opener was "OMG did you see those 2 girls fighting outside?" or how about "OMG where did you get that shirt? I used to have that one and some girl I dated stole it" They are the best when you are working with NO material.
I gotta say.. I LOVE the OMG opener. and I think for the reasons you say... it's dynamic, it's easily grounded ("I used to have a shirt like that!" or whatever) and it STOPS them from talking (most important). Sometimes it can be hard to enter a set in the middle of a conversation.. the OMG cuts away whatever they were talking about instantly.
Quote:
So I'm very intersted to see what you all think about this.Been away for a while dealing with oneitis glad to be back.
It's something we've all suffered from. Even the so-called gurus, if you read their books/posts. Besides, for some of us the ultimate goal is to enter a state of one-itis.

- Dex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:56 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

i concur with what your saying cutter, situational openers are the way forward if you want to pick up your game speed, and thinkin g mobility. although in ur example if you said at the karoake, "she's really good eh?" even though its situational its still askin for her/his/their opinion.
adn i think thats why they work well if you ask some1 a really hard question to open or talk about somethin their not sure of then they cant answer and conversation will close. if you ask on their opinion then they can definatly give an answer.
i used opinion oponers ont eh bus when i saw a guy wearing white pants, turned to 2 hbs's in covnersation is said "is it alrite for a guy to wear white pants, what would you lthink if a guy talked to you wearin white pants" this was opinion based on situation, the canned ones are good for AA when you'v gotten over AA then make ur own up. go situational get creative theres no fun playin the same game over adn over adn over again, so spice it up a tad.
i like the survey opener..
"excuse me im out here in this bar doin a quick survey"
and then just add like 3 or 4 humorous questions that nobody would ever think about.
"is the ice too big?"
"dnt you think everyone would look stupid dancing if the lights were off"

gotta keep a straight face throughout this, but in those 3 or 4 then use situational q's.
or even
"do you think that the 2 girls just fighting outside is fittin for an establishment such as this" ahaha

-peace-

and welcome back dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:53 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

I was quite disturbed when I read about these opinion openers in the Game. In my opinion they are only valuable in a nightlife setting. In everyday life - which in my opinion is the more challenging setting - they may come across very weird. Especially if they do not relate to anything that is in the situation.

Personally I like asking questions about the girls face expression - which shows her you are sensitive and have selfconfidence.
I don't know if you have noticed but people often look depressed while talking the public transport - so one of my favorites: "hey - getting all depressed sitting next to you...." - She will mostly reply that this is not the case - And afterwards you can ask her why people always are looking sad on public transport --- HERE you go a natural opinion opener.

Nice day to everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:28 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

I hope you guys are not misunderstanding things...

Opinion openers are the best and they will never die, uh huh I said NEVER

not if you do it the right way

Here are the guidelines for an opinion opener:

- They MUST be spontaneous, or at least appear to be.
- It must seem genuine and works best if it's related to your life (unless you're a great actor and can fake emotions)
- They should not have obvious answers, such as "Yes", "No"
- It should be neutral, meaning you either don't like or dislike the people youre talking to, or the question is not designed for her to like you, this is important cause she CANT decide early in the interaction whether she's interested in you or not (Saying "What shirt looks better on me?" is an example of doing things wrong)

You dont go across the room to ask a woman for her opinion in something, this will obviously make it seem like you're hitting on her... First, you place yourself on a nearby place (casually) and then you move on into the opener

Hope this clears things up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:37 am 
Dedicated Member

I've actually had some really negative reactions to opinion openers recently. The game is pretty prolific in Edmonton, so I guess that's part of it, and with The Game being an international best-seller, it's something girls are preparing for. OMG openers are good. Situational openers are good. A total lack of openers (a la Juggler) is good. Opinion openers, in my city anyway, are very quickly losing their appeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:48 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

AOL: m0onwa1k3r
Opinion openers are alive and well...it is a matter of making it congruent with your body language and approach. I agree with Romeo that they must seem genuine and spontaneous. Otherwise it looks like a lame pick up line.

The steps to a good opinion opener, when approaching, as outlined by style in his style life video is...
1. Age, looks, weight does not matter, but one must be well groomed for strangers to want to align with you.
2.Hands are out of pockets. Open palms out to be seen as more trustworthy without anything to hide.
3.Smile, and be friendly and non threatning
4.Watch angles. Do not approach directly. Talk over shoulder.
5.Walk at their pace and same direction.
etc..
Following the simple basics and opinion openers are alive and kicking.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Lt9N_R4l1M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Lt9N_R4l1M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:38 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Ok so, the reason opinion openers work is because they're not overdone yet. (i.e., they're interesting, and girls like it when you're interesting.) If the Mystery or Annihilation methods blow up when Mystery's reality show or The Game movie come out respectively, or any other thing that makes the concept of the opinion opener famous, they might not work so well anymore. "Can I get your opinion on something?" is going to start sounding like "Can I fuck you?" to girls. And you know what, they wouldn't be wrong, would they? Not entirely anyway.

The great thing about the situation opener is it's a normal, natural way of initiating conversation, so no matter how well known it becomes, it's never going to sound like an opener because hey, it's really not. Situationals is usually how people meet.

OMG openers will probably never stop working either, but they can make you seem like somewhat of an eccentric. Not that that's neccessarily a bad thing, depending on what type of set you're opening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:56 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Opinion Openers do not work IF the person using them does not believe it to be true (unless your a great actor). - Romeo touched on this and i totally agree (sorry if im repeating what youve said)

Most people in the community here use other peoples lines, openers, stacks etc. Now, because of this, what they say is either not what they believe or not what they really care about.

Women are not stupid. They can easily tell if you come off flakey, or if you are not REALLY listening to them, OR if you are simply waiting for them to finish their sentence so you can go into the next story/ question that you have loaded and read somewhere on the forum/ in a book.

this is why it is, at a certain point in your game progression, to forget about canned opinion openers, and use YOUR personality, YOUR ideas and YOUR thoughts. Dex - i agree with you here.

The game has progressed, and we in the community need to progress with it, BUT also, we need to take on our style (not just post things of what we have read in The Game or seen on youtube - thats bullshit)

so, in a nutshell, i feel there is room for opinon openers, IF it is natural and situational and you really do care about the answer - but i feel in time even this may have to evolve....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:55 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

My point exactly. Situational openers are fucking retarded way of naming them., Its called starting a conversation with a woman based on the situation, because you are aware of your environment, and are attractive. Now, a pick up GURU , or pick up-artist, (like the guy that posted this thread) Will start saying, "ok, um, um what opener should I use? Do you like those glasses, or would you wear those type of glasses?" And all the while, he is failing. Opening women naturally, is for NATURALS. Not Pick up artists that also believe in NEGS, DHV, OPENERS, QUALIFICATION, and all the other stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:30 am 
New to MPUA Forum

I personally have had decent success with opinion openers, but I go a step beyond having a halfway honest story--I only ask them if I actually care about the answer a bit, so I agree, believing in them is key. But, on this note, I don't use them that often. Usually it's just a random curiosity, spiced up with some crazy back story I come up with just to make it more fun. This usually does come off as a tiny bit wierd, but with the right attitude, it almost always turns out being funny, and girls end up making some sort of comment about it being random and outgoing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:23 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

If someone asked for my opinion on something I cared nothing about, I would be thinking damn i actually have to take an interest in this, invest thought and come up with an opinion. On the other hand if it was something I was passionate about I would be alot more engaged. So the "Opinion opener" concept doesn't really work for me because I want to find information about the girl so that I can judge what topics i can ask her opinion on that will actually engage her. I think opinions are best sought after some time after the opener, i'm still pretty newb though.