PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:05 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

After weeks of procrastination, I finally went out for the first time and decided to sarge for an entire day. I went in thinking it would be easy, but came out realizing how much work I need. Not only was it physically tiring, but it was also mentally tiring. And the problem is I don't know if I actually learned that much.

I went to a mall and cold approached maybe around 10 sets, which took me five hours or so. My goal was just to approach. I think my biggest problem was getting in the rhythm of things. If more than a few minutes lapsed between my previous approach and the next one, I would get severe approach anxiety. But, if I managed to get two in a row, they came a lot more naturally. I ended up mostly using opinion openers, like what gift would you recommend buying a friend.

I think my biggest achievement was being able to stop moving sets. But I also had a lot of problems. The biggest trouble I had was getting out of my head and overanalyzing everything. My worst set of the day was approaching a girl and then for some reason, I freaking asked her "Do you come her often?" (Advice: Do not ever say this! You cannot become more AFC than this.) She got this look like she wanted to run away, and said that she was waiting for her boyfriend. And then true enough her boyfriend started walking over, and I nodded to him and left. After that, I couldn't approach any more sets, because I was so fixated on that incident.

Anyway, I want to warn people that sarging is more difficult than what you see in videos as I was led to believe. I realize that even the better puas have bad sets in between the good ones they post on youtube, etc. What is the best way to get over these bad sets?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:33 pm 

Quote:
And the problem is I don't know if I actually learned that much.
I think you learned more than you lead us on to believe.

You learned it was harder than you thought.

That approach anxiety kicks in when you are unable to bounce from set to set.

That you have to learn to stay in the moment, instead of in your head, and make more moves.

Also, that you have to teach yourself how to detach from the outcome of a set to be better in the next one. You see results and you convince yourself...."Some will, some won't, so what, NEXT!" Who cares if you fail, you'll learn from it, and succeed later on.

The way to recover faster from bad sets. Do more approaches so you realize that a good set is just a few away from a bad one. Also, work on your "inner game" / confidence so that you aren't as "phased" by these sets. Remember they aren't "bad" sets, they are opporunities to learn from. Since we're always goofing up, class is always in session man! :D