Post subject: Opener
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:09 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey guys,

I have done a good amount of approaches, maybe between 50-70, in the past 3 years. I still remember my first approaches and how I thought I was going to die. The problem now is I lack consistency, and I've tried multiple openers, but I can't find one that really suits my personality. I am definitely trying to get this part of my life handled for good by the end of March because I am moving to a different city, and I want to make sure I am prepared :). Well I've been off and on with "game" and I don't want to make any excuses but because of game I believe I landed two gf's both about a year long. So basically I'm back into it, but I've never mastered approaching.

I tried coming up with a magic trick opener, but it was hard to transition.
"hey guys I need a quick opinion on something, then I'll show you something real quick but then I have to go."

[Magic trick, turns two 1's into one 2 dollar bill]

"The reason I wanted to show you this was because I have a job were I get tips, do you think you would tip me bigger if I did this for you?"

blah, blah, blah (I really didn't like the opener, and I have been trying to come up with a new one for awhile.) I believe I am over thinking it, just because it is obviously more important how you say it, rather then what you say.

I want an opener that sparks conversation, good for mixed sets as well.

So far the best openers I've used was when I genuinely wanted an opinion on something. Like when I went into a shopping area, if I was going to buy it I always get an opinion on it. Or even "I'm just meeting new people today, my name is Danny"

I just need some tips on making an opener that is indirect and I can use just about anywhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:57 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

So I came up with such an easy opener after all that time of thinking. I am definitely over thinking and I read some other post which really helped. The advice of it doesn't really matter what you say has just re-enforced my belief. I guess I want that much less to think about, to know exactly what I am going to say. So here it goes then....

"Hey guys I need a quick opinion on something, I can only stay a sec."

"What do you guys think is harder singing or dancing?"

"The reason I'm asking is because me and a buddy were chatting and he said singing and I said dancing, so I had to see what other people thought."

I could see it working, as long as I have the right energy and go in with a smile. I actually want to hear other peoples' opinions.

Field testing at a local mall in like an hr.

Any commits to improve the opener would help.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Improve your openers by saying something you're genuinely interested in. Don't beat around the bush too much - you'll HAVE to be direct at some point early on or you'll either put yourself in the LJBF zone, or you'll creep her out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:02 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Indeed the WAY you say is VERY powerfull when starting a conversation. To your opener, you can spark it up by putting things like this in mid-sentence: "and for some reason we had a big fight about it (smiling so they know it wasnt like a serious fight), so I just HAD to get someone's oppinion on this". :)