Post subject: My 1st Newb mission
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:17 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Ok, so after goin on to PUA Chat last night, Panpan and Hobbit made me realise that i gotta stop waitin and go do stuff. I have read up to the first mission of Rules of the Game where ya gotta go out and talk to 5 ppl.

I wont write too much as im just about to go out to undertake this mission. I shall report back on this same thread once complete.

One of the main reasons im writing this is so that its out there and i cant back out. So if i dont reply to this you y'all know i am sans testicles.

Although i have one of my pals comin over at some point so i may not get the chance to write it up today (excuses... :roll:).

Ok wish me luck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:59 pm 

We're holding you accountable! You can rely on us for that! :lol:

Tell us how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:13 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Apologies for this reasonably long post. But read on, as its all gold.

Ok so i did it.
Took me a day to reply as my mate come over for beers and he stayed over. He just proposed to his girl and ask me to be his best man! Pretty good news huh? I'm gonna own that wedding. But that's a different story.

Back to the report...

I managed to complete the mission. Although i dont really think it was very successful. The reason for this is that it took me ages to complete and i didnt really feel much better afterwards.

Here's how it went down...

I walked out my house with a lil route around the area planned. I figured i would probably be out for about 30-40mins. The plan was to start off with just saying hello to random ppl then move on to some questions like "is there a *something* round here?"

As i walked down the street, most of the people i passed looked a bit unsavoury, so to avoid any potential trouble i decided to wait till i got the the main busier street till i started the mission.

So i got on to the busy street (Holloway Road to you London fans) and started heading down towards Highbury and Islington. It took me a while to pluck up the courage but in the end i managed to let out a small "Hi" to a passer by. I dont even know if he heard. "That wont do" I told myself, and was soon saying hello to random ppl. This felt good as to them it was totally unexpected. Some people greeted me back, some just looked at me funny and some just ignored me. But each time gave me a big grin as i found the whole thing rather funny. Like i was Dom Joly or one of the Jackass crew or some shit...

Anyway, so i reached highbury and islington tube station. I hadnt managed to walk this far, i figured i would have properly spoken to some ppl and would then be on my way home. Anyway i decided to ask where the nearest Woolworth's was. First guy didn't know, second lady told me it had already closed down. Ok 2 ppl down, 3 more to go. They were no trouble, easy...

It was at this point i received a phone call from a friend which lasted a while... And i ended up in Angel. OK lots of ppl here i thought this should be easy... but it wasn't.

I figured i would ask a decent place to get some coffee. Then speak to someone in the queue for coffee.

I approached a couple, and the guy didnt even let me ask them anything.
Me: Excuse me...
Guy: No
and carried on walking. How rude!

This pissed me off slightly and put me in a bad mood. I guess i probably approached with bad body language, he probably thought i was gonna try and sell him something.

So i asked a chick where to get coffee. She suggested a place. I went in but there with the intention of chatting to someone in the queue about the weather. But i didn't do that, i just bought coffee. By this point i was feeling a bit of a failure. I decided to get the tube home then head to the supermarket to pick up some bits. I got off the train and there were announcements about the football match. This gave me something to make small talk with.
"Who did Arsenal play?" says I to guy. He didnt know....

Next guy i saw was a out side the pub wearing his Arsenal gear. I asked him the same question. Which took him a few seconds to answer while he struggled to remember...
Im guessing this was because he was not expecting a random guy to come up to him and was taken a back slightly. Which i found mildly amusing.

Anyway, that guy made 5 so I had completed the mission. I went to the supermarket thinking perhaps i would speak to some more ppl.
I didnt. I bought my bits then went home.

So to summarise, in the eyes of Mr Strauss, perhaps i accomplished the mission. But i didnt feel much richer for it. I felt rather deflated. I was out for about 2 and a half hours and i managed to speak to about 5 ppl. Thats one every 30 minutes. I walked passed countless ppl and it took me that long? Bit rubbish if you ask me...
I think i need to go out and do this again v soon. At least i can read the next section of Rules of the Game now.

I dont think the problem is actually speaking to ppl if i have a legitimate reason for speaking to them like asking for directions or some shit. Its making small talk about random shit that i have problem with. Therefore i think i will be ok in the field using opinion openers, I have opened a couple of sets like that already. But a more direct approach will be something to build up to.

Anyways, thanks, for reading. Unless you just skipped to the end and read this bit...

Comments would be appreciated, cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:02 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Brother, Congratulations!

You said it didn't feel like you had really done much in your mission, but I disagree. Here is why. How many strangers did you approach on the day before? None I would assume. How about the week before? Again, I would say none. More importantly, you opened them when there was no pressing need to do so. Cheers on that.

You said that you noticed how surprised people were when you spoke to them. Now you are starting to see how what we do is so very different and unconventional. Most think that when in public, they should keep to themselves, and they do. Our biggest weapon is our ability to talk to random strangers. Just the ability to be social. Remember that.

I totally agree with you on continuing to do this mission. I fully recommend doing this everyday. If for no other reason than it eases your excitement level at opening, so that when you do approach a set, its just another set, not the first one of the day. Always be opening. Open women, men, dogs, cats, trees, shrubbery, fire hydrants. If they talk back to you, you should be opening them when the chance presents itself. Although if you talk to trees you might need to see someone. ;)

So much of this material is touted to increase your success with the opposite sex. But bro, you could open a job opportunity, a landlord at the building you want to get into, the brother of someone you want to meet, and the list goes on. Everyone matters in this world, and there is a reason to speak with everyone. Don't miss out. Don't hamstring yourself by not speaking.

Long enough rantings for a comment!

Good luck on your next missions. And remember, we have our eyes on you. No slacking.

Panpan