PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:36 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey everyone,

Like Lovez I have no particular PUA skills but I have a lot of knowledge regarding fighting sports, working out and weight management.

A little about me.
I've been doing kickboxing and MMA in The Netherlands for the past 5 years.
I've struggled with my weight since I was 16. I started out as a super scrawny kid at about 65kg's. Two years later I was 105kg's (and that wasn't muscle!).
In order to loose this weight I've tried about every diet on the planet. Ranging from the typical bodybuilder diet to Atkins. I've finally settled on paleo because it works so much better (for me) than other diets.
I've done courses in food management and body movement.

I hope I can answer as many questions as you have for me!

Regards,
Chaosed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:13 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Hey Chaosed, you are in the right place. there is alot of info on pua here thats useful for any stage you're in.

i recently began to start working out. im not too out of shape but i do have a beer belly starting to build up. im trying to get a six pack and increase muscle on my biceps and chest.
i just bought a xxl kickboxing bag i'd been using pretty much everyday since i dont have alot of spare time to go to the gym

is there a way you can help me with some intense routines/combinations to amp up cardio?
what does the paleo diet consist of?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:22 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

The best way to burn through your fat is a cycle of HIIT. HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. What this means is that you do a particular exercise for a short period of time in which you bump your heart rate up very high (depending on your age it varies from 180 - 200 bpm).

The benefits of HIIT are, you're done quickly, you will be burning fat for up to two hours post training and it makes you feel like a beast when your done.

HIIT exercises I would suggest:
- Death by Burpees. Here's a video: (edit I can't post video's yet because I'm a new user, please just google Death by Burpees and click the 1st video)
You basically start of doing one burpee in your first minute. Then you do two in your second minuten, three in your third, etc. You do this till you are completely exhausted. Not out of breath, but literally feel like dying.
- Bag combo + squat + push up + 5 situps. This is basically when you do a simple combo on the bag, for example, left straight, right straight, left hook, right low kick (you can find many basic combo's on youtube). You then do a squat, then a push up followed by five sit ups.

You can also make up your own exercises. As long as it raises your heart rate up to close to it's potential max.

As for Paleo, Paleo is basically when you eat as a Paleolithic man (pre-historic). You simply eat only products that you can pluck, hunt or pick. So basically it's vegetables, meat, fish, spices and nuts.
The benefits of this type of diet is that it's incredibly health, low-carb and high in omega-3 fats (yes FAT IS GOOD!!!) For more information I would suggest Googling it!

As for building muscle; you will be able to combine loosing fat and gaining muscle when you start exercising and doing HIIT however as your body get's used to the exercise this will seize.
There is no real reason for you to start building up muscle if you still have a beer belly to lose. Please get back to me when you feel that you've lost sufficient weight or want to start gaining mass* again.
*By gaining mass I mean both fat and muscle. It is very hard to put one on without the other!

If you have any more questions please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:41 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

What order you decide (bulk first or cut first) doesn't matter that much but with that said, I usually actually recommend people focus on bulking first for two reasons

(1) It's easier to bulk than cut so at least that way it gets people into the gym
(2) Once you bulk up some, the losing fat part (the hard part for most people) becomes easier than losing fat when you have less muscle

Of course, I wouldn't suggest this order if someone is morbidly obese or close to it.
Quote:
The best way to burn through your fat is a cycle of HIIT. HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. What this means is that you do a particular exercise for a short period of time in which you bump your heart rate up very high (depending on your age it varies from 180 - 200 bpm).

The benefits of HIIT are, you're done quickly, you will be burning fat for up to two hours post training and it makes you feel like a beast when your done.

HIIT exercises I would suggest:
- Death by Burpees. Here's a video: (edit I can't post video's yet because I'm a new user, please just google Death by Burpees and click the 1st video)
You basically start of doing one burpee in your first minute. Then you do two in your second minuten, three in your third, etc. You do this till you are completely exhausted. Not out of breath, but literally feel like dying.
- Bag combo + squat + push up + 5 situps. This is basically when you do a simple combo on the bag, for example, left straight, right straight, left hook, right low kick (you can find many basic combo's on youtube). You then do a squat, then a push up followed by five sit ups.

You can also make up your own exercises. As long as it raises your heart rate up to close to it's potential max.

As for Paleo, Paleo is basically when you eat as a Paleolithic man (pre-historic). You simply eat only products that you can pluck, hunt or pick. So basically it's vegetables, meat, fish, spices and nuts.
The benefits of this type of diet is that it's incredibly health, low-carb and high in omega-3 fats (yes FAT IS GOOD!!!) For more information I would suggest Googling it!

As for building muscle; you will be able to combine loosing fat and gaining muscle when you start exercising and doing HIIT however as your body get's used to the exercise this will seize.
There is no real reason for you to start building up muscle if you still have a beer belly to lose. Please get back to me when you feel that you've lost sufficient weight or want to start gaining mass* again.
*By gaining mass I mean both fat and muscle. It is very hard to put one on without the other!

If you have any more questions please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:47 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Hey thanks for the help,
ill will start HIIT right away.
see how far i can go in 2 months.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:23 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Quote:
What order you decide (bulk first or cut first) doesn't matter that much but with that said, I usually actually recommend people focus on bulking first for two reasons

(1) It's easier to bulk than cut so at least that way it gets people into the gym
(2) Once you bulk up some, the losing fat part (the hard part for most people) becomes easier than losing fat when you have less muscle

Of course, I wouldn't suggest this order if someone is morbidly obese or close to it.

I completely agree if your end goal was to be as buff as possible in a short(er) amount of time. However, to get a six-pack and looking lean you'd want to lose the weight first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:48 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Im finding it really hard to gain weight... Sometimes i try to eat as much food as possible, until i am about to puke but i still am only weighting 62kg (181 cm), I am not really good with proteine powder (also made me puke)
any advice? and smart tricks prehaps ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:31 am 
New to MPUA Forum

If you really just want to gain mass try eating brown rice and brown beans. Perhaps add some fatty meat and a nice sauce.

It's all about being consistent. If you consistently want to gain weight, you have to eat extra every single day.

Are you having trouble eating certain foods? What kind of foods do you like and/or know how to prepare?