PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:30 am 
Dedicated Member

A Note For Dorian: This is the field report I mentioned earlier, that illustrates our similar problem with focusing on the ugly girl. It's about halfway through.

So one of the girls at work recently read my copy of the Game (I’d lent it to my boss, who left it at his other store), and she’s interested in seeing how and if it also works on guys. Earlier in the day, she number closes a cute guy on a bus, which is a great start, and wants to come out and try her hand a couple of club sets. We are certain that we can re-tailor a lot of the techniques used in present Game Theory to work on guys as well as girls; it’s been a learning process, and I’m quite enjoying the challenge.

I’m broke-ass, but she’s got a bottle of vodka, and I’ve got enough for mix, so we decide to meet at her house, she’ll paint my nails, we’ll get drunk and then head out to the clubs. This is my first night with nail-polish since high-school, and I have to say the results were spectacular. I keep three of my fingernails long (thumb, index and middle) and leave the other two short; the long ones are bright red, the short ones black. I was also armed with a penguin with LED lights that flash in a circle, a star that says sheriff on it, and a necklace with a fish (to open any conversation about astrology; I’m a Pisces). She put on a suit jacket and a beret, some Female War Paint and had all of her nails the same shade of red as mine. We’ll call her Mocha for reasons that become apparent later.

On the way to the club, I open a three set surrounded by guys. They’re all hot, talking amongst themselves, and ignoring every guy that walks up. Mocha has never seen me at work, so as we pass, I decide to approach, turn around and come in from 11:00. It’s a bit too steep an angle, and I can see that in their look as I approach, but I shove my hands between them and ask “What’s your first impression of these? Not the big hands, but the fancy nails.” (I took this straight out of The Game, but it’s an obscure line, and I DO have big hands. Mostly in the palms…)

HB7: They’re kind of girlie.
HB8: I think they’re awesome! (Grabbing my hand) And you have really soft hands!
HB9: Just don’t go to the wrong bars. You’ll get your ass kicked.
Monkey: I don’t intend to go to the wrong bars.
HB9: Where are you going?
Monkey: Well first I’m going to The One, and then I’m going home with you.
HB9: (Huge fit of embarrassed giggling). What makes you think I’ll let you?
Monkey: The fact that I can twist my tongue into a pretzel.
HB8: Show me! (She’s still holding my hand)
Monkey: You’ll just have to come pick me up at the One when you’re ready. (Shrug, and then point at HB7) You get to go first, I think.

Two things: 1) I later saw the HB8 at The One, without her friends. I invited her into my current set, but she looked a little embarrassed and didn’t want to join us. I couldn’t find her later to re-open. And 2) All of the guys standing around the three-set disappeared within seconds of my approach. It was a pleasure to watch, actually. It gave me butterflies.

When we get to the One, the two of us enter the next set together. She picked the target, so I was there mostly for social proof and reassurance. Again, my fingernails were the opener, and Mocha professes she thinks I’m going to get my ass kicked. She completely takes over the group, and an HB9 actually walks off the set in the presence of her superior game! I was quite impressed. While she’s talking to HD8 and HD9 (Hot Dudes) my Shootergirl walks up, smiles, hugs me, and we get to talking. She’d just turned thirty, and was hating being old, which I capitalized on saying that thirty is the new twenty and she should be out prowling for younger guys (pointing at myself; I only realized later how NLP that was – and I despise anything NLP - but it was an unconscious gesture, so I’ve forgiven myself). She seemed to agree, and then pointed out my fingernails, and my penguin. I flash brighter than the club lights when it’s dark out. ^_^ So I give her the penguin, telling her to take good care of him, but I want him back later in the night. She walks off with a posture that screams “I got a present! I got a present!” I keep that in mind for later.

Mocha has the set in complete control, so I look at her and ask if she’s seen Matt (our code for the night for “Do you want me to join the set?”). She says she last saw him at the bar (our code for “No, I’ve got this handled. Thanks for the social proof, but please go away.”) I head toward the bar checking out the social dynamic, get some social proof from Dancergirl (a young waitress I’ve befriended being a regular at the One), and look for a good set to approach. One presents itself near the dance floor, a two-set with a definite obstacle (not even a consolation prize; plain ugly), and an HB7. A very bored looking dude is sitting behind them, and they themselves look horribly bored.

Monkey: You guys look really bored!
HB7: Yeah. We’re waiting for our friends.
Monkey: Were they supposed to meet you here?
Obstacle: They’re on the dance floor.
Monkey: Why aren’t YOU on the dancefloor?
Obstacle: We were. It’s boring out there too.
Monkey: What’s your favorite dinosaur?
Obstacle: What?
Monkey: (Laughing)What’s your favorite dinosaur?
HB7: Brontosaurus!
Monkey: Brontosauruses never existed.
HB7: They did so. They were the ones with the long necks!
Monkey: Nope. They found out they’d put the wrong head on the right skeleton. The brontosaurus head was too small. It could never feed itself. The real dinosaur was a brachiosaur.
HB7: Really?
Monkey: Really. You seem nice! Let’s play a game!

The obstacle gets bored and leaves, and I start cubing the hottie. Part of what I love about the cube is how much time it takes. It seems like a really small conversation, but with enough embellishment, some flourishes and some other conversation thrown in, a good cubing can take fifteen minutes if you want it to. I was about three minutes into this one when the Obstacle came back and cock-blocked. I should have been focusing on her, and I know it, and I knew it at the time, but the HB was far more interesting than her friend.

I see Mocha is still with her set, so I scout the room for a bit, check out a few sets, talk to the waitress that knows everything about booze, and see the guy from my most recent set still sitting by himself. I decide I want back into the set (I cannot, for the life of me, remember why… I think I may have just been angry at the cock-block), so I approach.

Monkey: Where’d your friends go?
HD9: Dunno. I think they’re dancing.
Monkey: You look crazy bored, bro.
HD9: Yeah. I don’t really go out very often. Not my thing.

At this point Mocha joins me.

Mocha: Have you seen Matt around?
Monkey: Not lately. (To HD) Have you met my friend Mocha? She’s awesome!
HD9: Hi.
Mocha: Have you checked out Monkey’s fingernails yet?
HD9: I noticed them, yeah.
Mocha: Is he going to get his ass kicked later or what?

She takes over the set, I go wandering and watch their progress. She isolates him to the center couch (better would have been either of the sides; they’re darker) and their body language got really close. I had to remind her to initiate Kino (Monkey: “Hey, I just heard Kino’s coming to town!” Mocha: “I LOVE Kino!” Monkey: “Me too!”), and then later suggested a kiss close (“Hey, is Kate close?”), and then left her to her own devices.

As I wandered, I came across one of the girls from my very first set ever (She claimed to be a lesbian; I thought otherwise), and we freaked out like high-school girls and there were hugs and a kiss on the cheek. She was hanging out with her friends over there, and she was just going to get another drink.

Monkey: So who are your friends?
HBLesbian: Come with me!

There were introductions all around. The redheaded HB I recognized from my previous set with this girl, and there was beautiful, exotic dark skinned 9 I hadn’t met. There were also a bunch of guys at the table, so I decided to play this one right. I talked to the guys, mostly fluff, but excited interesting fluff (if any fluff can be called truly interesting). Then I ejected from the set, getting cheek-kisses from the girls and hand-shakes from the guys. As I went in for the exotic girl I told her she smelled delicious with a half-evil smile and walked away.

I got my penguin back from Shootergirl and went to talk to Boozegirl and Dancergirl. As a note: Putting any pin-on or magnetic jewelry on a girl means that you get to kino just under her shirt in an unobtrusive, non-frightening way. This sets up, for later, more obtrusive under-the-shirt kino. Plant the seeds, boys. Plant the seeds. Dancergirl actually makes a funny comment about how often I talk to the pretty waitresses at the bar: “People have got to be wondering ‘Who is this guy?’ we stand around and talk to him so much!” If only she knew. She got to keep the penguin for a while with the agreement that later, when I came to take him back, she’d have a good name for him.

Looking at the set with the exotic 9, I notice all of the guys are mysteriously absent. I take this as a good sign and re-open.

HBExotic: Oh my god!
Monkey: What?
HBExotic: Your nails are painted! They’re so pretty!
Monkey: Thank you.
HBExotic: (Taking my hand) Are these real?
Monkey: Last I checked.
HBExotic: And your hands are so SOFT!
Monkey: I don’t think so, not really. (In my head I’m thinking: “Was that three IOIs or four?”)
HBExotic: Here! (passing my hand to HBRedhead) Are his hands soft?
HBRedhead: Yeah! Wow. Do you use lotion or something?
Monkey: Nope. Natural softness I guess. Shrug. So where did the boys go?
HBExotic: Out for a smoke. I hate smokers.
Monkey: I don’t mind them. When we were voting for whether or not to pass a smoking bylaw in my hometown, I voted against it. It passed anyway, but I figure we should just let people do their own thing. Freedom is really important to me.
HBExotic: Even the freedom to do something that’s bad for you?
Monkey: Especially the freedom to do something that’s bad for you.
HBExotic: Where are you from? (Four? Five?)

We fluff for a little bit about home, work on some deeper rapport until we’re talking about my stint with alcoholism (and how I beat it; I can even drink occasionally without worrying too badly about a relapse), about her situation with her S.O., with whom she knows its over but he keeps thinking it’s not (Five; it’s got to be five). She’s a hand-talker, and I call her on it, grabbing her hand and not letting it go. She starts talking with the other hand, so I grab that one too. Yay kino! Mocha comes by and offers a bit of social proof, but I’ve got the situation well in hand for now. The guys and HBLesbian show up, and it turns out the guy HBExotic is with is FIFTY YEARS OLD! So I mock her mercilessly about dating old men, and tell her she should run away with a younger man (again, subconscious pointing at myself). I attempt to isolate, asking her if she wants to sit somewhere a little less noisy. She speaks up instead. So we talk for some more about where she’s from (India; I’ve never been with an Indian before…), about food and cooking, about her boyfriend’s extreme age, and how he does NOT fit in at the One. And when we’ve built enough rapport, I again go to isolate, this time using her friends for some subtle peer pressure.

Monkey: You guys are all so LOUD. Do you mind if I steal your friend for a bit?
HBLesbian: Nooooooooooo! You have to stay here with us! (To HBExotic) Isn’t he funny?!? I LOVE him!
Monkey: (to HBLesbian, cocky-funny in a horrible Spanish accent) Run away with me. Come to my mountain retreat and make babies with me. We will make BEAUTIFUL babies.
HBLesbian: Hehehehehe!

So one more time, I go back to building rapport. I escalate the kino, caressing the backs of her hands, and her shoulders. I lean in sideways when she’s talking to me. I run my fingers through her hair. I build so much rapport I should have my own talk show! I can’t go for the kiss close, because her S.O. is sitting right there. I can’t try for a full close until I’ve ensured the kiss close. I can’t isolate because she really doesn’t want to be isolated (Why!?! Someone help me out on this one! What did I do wrong here?). So I try and work for a meet instead. She has a girl’s night out in two weeks, at the One, and she invites me to come along. I agree, and think about number closing, and also think about how this crazy fifty-year-old dude is living with her, so I forget about it.

Mocha kiss-closed her boring guy a little later, and we left the club.

And this is where the story gets more interesting. See "Something Completely Different" in the Lay Reports section for details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:03 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

I admire your courage man. There is no way I would paint my nails to sarge. Especially since I sarge alone all the time.
It seems you really do your peacocking homework.
You approach plenty of sets, that's awesome.

How long did it take you to do the cube routine?

cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:52 am 
Dedicated Member

Painting your nails is a peacocking staple, bro. Everyone should do it. Even if it's just black, it gives a girl something to exclaim about. Give it a try and you'll never go back. Also, grow your nails out a bit, and use lotion on your hands. Girls love a man with girly hands. ^__^

I approach between three and five sets per night. Some sets I've entered before, others are opened for the first time that night.

I usually take five to ten minutes to run the CUBE, but the CUBE itself is only a part of it. I'm also building rapport, chatting about things related (or even unrelated) to the answers I get. In fact, most of the time when I'm running the CUBE, it's just a lead-in to the more powerful S.Fields.

In this case I got cockblocked before it was done, but it was looking like a five-minute CUBE rather than a ten. Depends on when we got distracted. The key with any routine is to interrupt it occasionally with something else and come back to it. It seems like your conversation is less rehearsed this way, and the whole thing comes off more naturally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Awesome post man, and very, very good game. The only thing I can say is and I quote the almight Wayne and Garth. "I AM NOT WORTHY!" Very awesome man. I wanna watch you in action and wing with you.