PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:52 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

AOL: nrjose27@aim.com
If there's one thing I'm always doing, it's making weird friends.

It's not that I do it intentionally, it's just that whenever I try to make new friends and the cracks to their personality start to show, I don't know whether I should love and accept their flaws or just cut my losses and move on.

Sure, the idea of what's considered weird is totally up to one's opinion. My older bro has even given me two tips as to identify the strangeness in a person:

1) Look at his/her social circle. What kind of people are they?
2) Say one of the things that the person does aloud. If it sounds weird, then chances are, it is, too.

So what's your level of tolerance as to what's weird? And when do you guys decide it's time to unfriend a person?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:04 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

im a weird person. so i dono if i can help you here but ill try

you dont give much info. just saying they are weird is extremely broad. what makes them weird?

also, what drew you into befriending them and becoming apart of there inner circle?

sorry i forgot to answer your questions.

tolerance ? depends on the situation . i don't have a high tolerance when it comes to someone doing something weird towards me. probably because i do weird things with my friends all the time.

although there was this one time a friend took my pants off and tucked me into bed while i was drunk and that felt really weird to me. (it was my best friends girlfriend) but we talked about it and it probably wont happen again but if it does ill most likely say something right away about it.

ON TOPIC

i unfriend someone when i think they aren't there for you when you need them and are only there when they need you..or when they try to judge, put me down, control, or assume to much in anyway.

in my experiences even if you dont befriend them, eventually feelings will come out and a fight will happen and the relationship will end anyway. its inevitable imo.

Are they being weird towards you? or are they just weird in general? have you spoken about it with them?

what i mean by that is i was acting gay with one of my friends at a bar with other friends who had there girlfriends with them. kissing him on the check holding his arm etc etc. we were both having fun with it. at the end of the night i spoke with him asking if he was cool with the fact i was doing all that stuff with him. he said it was cool and we left it at that. (bromances for the win)

talk with them about it. see what they say.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:53 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Well, I guess I could say that I had my fair share of what was "weird" during my senior year at high school. It was at this point that I finally decided to give this whole "friendship" biz a shot with fingers crossed after studying really hard for the past three years.

I remember having this one friend in high school, and she was actually pretty cute: she danced, watched anime (common interest), and had a curvaceous body. The only problems were that she had an incompetent boyfriend and dressed in shades of black, but despite these two flaws, I still accepted her because, well, I was her friend. Friends are supposed to love and respect each other, right?

Whenever we were together, I felt some kind of warm connection that I haven't felt in a while - a feeling that there's someone out there who you could trust and just plain hang out with, and I didn't want to lose that connection. Plus, I was already learning about The Game at the time, so I would chalk this up as another learning experience.

As I got to know my friend more, she started making me feel uncomfortable. Sure, she had many tidbits, but the two that I could think of at the top of my head were that: 1) she hated the beach because she thinks that the ocean's gonna pull her out to sea where the sharks will eat her, 2) claimed that she has been raped despite the contradicting evidence, and 3) she cosplayed.

I'd think to myself, "If I introduced a friend of mine in college to this girl, how'd s/he react to her?" I'm talking about a college-leveled student meeting a girl who's mindset is that of a 5-year-old's and dresses up as cartoon characters in a rather unsexy. It was like we were in opposite worlds, her and I: She hates the beach, I love the beach; she cosplays weirdly (some pink bunny-eared wearing Japanese schoolgirl hybrid), mine makes sense (i.e. the Driver from "Drive").

One way girls can judge you is evaluating your circle of friends. With this in mind, I couldn't see myself being a part of her social circle because I felt like was on a whole different level. I don't normally judge people's social value based on their appearance alone; I'd need to get a sense of what they're lifestyle is like. Something in the back on my mind told me that if I were to continue hanging out with my friend's group, then there's nothing in it for me in the grand scheme of things.

Eventually, we both graduated together. I went to college and she didn't, and not once has she ever attempted to make contact with me despite our shared experiences together, but I guess it's for the best. If her friends were to meet with my friends in college, it's like dropping a mentos tablet into a bottle of coke: shit's gonna erupt.

I tolerated my friend's "uniqueness" until the final day of high school and never once confronted her on why she does what she does. I just stood there and accepted her for who she was, and in no way did I ever make her conform to my toned-down lifestyle. In the end, I cut my losses and deleted her from my contacts.

So this is one case of something I still consider to be bizarre, but then again, this would probably seem normal to other people. Did I leave anything out or didn't answer any questions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:44 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Your making a big thing out of nothing. If your embarrassed by this person your obviously not a great friend. it shouldn't matter that she's different . As long as you like her as a friend then that's all that matters. what she does does not define you. So don't think if your seen with her that people will see you as weird . Truth be told what's weird to one person might be completely normal to someone else. Example would be a girl in Cosplay and a guy in a suit are walking down the street, they both are thinking "why are you wearing that"

Who said you have to be apart of her social circle?

Why do you even like this girl?

She might have actually been raped.

The beach story was probably a joke or she didn't want to tell you the real reason why she hates beaches. Maybe that's where she got raped? Who knows dude. Don't speculate it just accept it.

What attracted you to together, there must be a cause . For instance the group of friends I hang out with used to play cod together online. That's how I met them, threw a common interest.

This girl is weird to you becuase you don't have anything In common. Try doing some of things she does, who knows you might like it and have fun.

I'm a well rounded guy and have many interestes , I'm also very open minded and try not to judge based of appearance or action. So it's kind of difficult to see where your coming from. But I remember one time I met a group of people who took steroids and thought it was weird, I questioned them about it , they talked to me about risks benifits and all that jazz. I understood them . Would I ever do steroids? Fuck no, that shit just ain't for me . But I don't judge them for doing it. I accept who they are and build up from there.(or not, your choice)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 am 

Are they fans of anime?

If yes, they're probably weird.

Not the good kind of weird, but the hanging-around-them-will-influence-you-in-a-way-that-will-repel-women-like-hell kind of weird.

In all seriousness, as long as they're not neckbeards it's probably OK.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:32 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

Quote:
Who said you have to be apart of her social circle?
No one, really. I guess I was forcing myself into a clique that seemed unnatural for me. All that mattered to me at the time was to gain social experience - regardless of who I was hanging out with: potheads, weeaboos, nerds, popular kids, etc.
Quote:
Why do you even like this girl?
What attracted you to together, there must be a cause .
By all honesty, I can't remember the details. Whenever I go through something bad, I tend to block out the experience until it completely fades out of memory. This all happened two years ago, and trying to remember a sour experience would only leave a sourer taste in my mouth.
Quote:
I'm a well rounded guy and have many interestes , I'm also very open minded and try not to judge based of appearance or action. So it's kind of difficult to see where your coming from.
I also follow this advice: to keep an open-mind, to not be judgmental, etc. But is it bad to follow this philosophy to a certain extent? Of course, when it comes to girls, they establish this level of tolerance that, when broken, prompts them to pack their bags and move onto something that's more bearable.
Quote:
Are they fans of anime?

If yes, they're probably weird.

Not the good kind of weird, but the hanging-around-them-will-influence-you-in-a-way-that-will-repel-women-like-hell kind of weird.

In all seriousness, as long as they're not neckbeards it's probably OK.
In general, anime (or anything for that matter) doesn't make a person weird; rather, it's how deep a person's obsession with it is to the point where it hinders his/her social skills. I honestly like watching anime, but I make it a part of my life rather than become it. The key word is: moderation. Anything that's too excessive can be detrimental, so balancing one's lifestyle is critical.

Several years ago, I got invited by my high school friends to go to this one anime convention. I saw this as an opportunity to gain social experience and I decided to go. The only thing I wore that was related to anime was a black Naruto shirt my sister gave me as a gift. The white version of the shirt looks like this: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?. ... d=49568568

When I got picked up by them and got in their car, my shirt paled in comparison as to what my friends wore. They were simply decked out - from head to toe - in stuff that's anime: wigs, makeup, costume, etc. They basically went all out.

Now, going back to what Hint wrote:
Quote:
If your embarrassed by this person your obviously not a great friend.
I'll admit, I was embarrassed being around them during the convention and after, which means that I wasn't they're friend to the core. (From what I believe, only a handful of cosplayers at the convention did a fantastic job ripping out characters straight from the comic books/movies. I think that by my being with the group that didn't dress to impress was a DLV on my end.) In it's heinous form, I was using these people to further my agenda of being more socially savvy before I left for college, where the REAL Game begins. This probably paints me as the bad guy, but speaking very candidly, it all boils down to business.