Some Dancing Basics - Groove

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Building an Attractive Lifestyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 am 
Black Belt

ZebraG: that's great man glad it could help, and I hope that shows everyone that you don't have to be an expert or exceptionally talented to be a good dancer.

Took me many years of practicing and showing off to realize that less is more. Yes I did get laid from just going hard and practicing my moves in the club, but this was the exception and was usually due to me ignoring all the women (plus the awesome moves of course) so they aggressively pursued me.

A subtle groove can take you much further, it can easily warm up a venue and make approaching more effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:33 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

DS - I need some more advice if you would...

Before seeing this thread, I could not dance at all. In my mind I now look like the dude in those videos you originally posted. I got more compliments since my last post so while I doubt oh-so-much that I've got moves anything like his, they're good enough.

Now for the next challenge; transitioning 1 person groove to 2 person dance.

Here are my current thoughts (which are basically what I'm slowly experimenting with), but if you could give me your opinion, I'd appreciate it.
- slow down the foot work a lot (get rid of all together when your bodies are together?)
- slow down the hip work (does it have to be in time with the music any more?)
- use my hands on her hips to direct her movement
- she slides her arse up and down my thighs, do I slide up and down her body at all? (Yeah, I'm that clueless!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:15 am 
Black Belt

haha ok, the interesting stuff. what's great about having a girl there is that now it comes down to your freestyle and expression. (and because girls' bodies feel nice).

You're right turn the footwork down a lot, I still use my hips but yea everything gets slower and subtler. Your hands will mostly be on her hips but you can let them wander ;) If it's done with flow you can touch her anywhere. Pulling hair gently, spinning by the neck is a nice one, you can even hold her face close to yours like you're about to kiss her then spin her away, stuff like that. When the beat drops out and the song gets slow is when I'll slide up against her really sensually almost as if we're about to f**k then when the first bass hit comes back in I'll grab her hips and pound her once lol. You don't have to get that sexual it's just one of the things I might do and shows you can still follow the music but in a sexual way and directed to her. Variety is exciting here and don't be afraid to be dominant.

The way I see it, if you enter a club and you're grooving alone you're sort of 'performing' for a/the girl. Once she enters your space you dance together but now more like she is 'performing' for you. So I'll push her away and make her dance alone while I stand back almost still watching her. The great thing about Groove is that you can just be tapping your foot or rocking your head back forth really gently but still be completely feeling the music. And you 2 will have your own little bubble so even if you push her away, step back and bust some moves alone she will come back to you.

So then you pull her back in and pull her ass up against you. If you can match the movement of her hips that's cool. It will depend on how good of a dancer you both are. If a chick has shitty rhythm I won't move my hips much I'll more let her do her thing. I'll also get more physical quicker and try to leave sooner. If a girl is a good dancer, then I might focus on that and enjoy it a bit more. I actually like dancing with girls so they're more open to that vibe.

Also it's less about doing specific moves now and more about being spontaneous and feeling her energy. As you practice you will find little techniques that work for you in different situations/positions.
Hope that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:59 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

thanks for sharing giving you some pts for that lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:10 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Thanks for the words DS. I'll probably be back in a bit to ask more questions once I've tried all that out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:25 am 
Black Belt

Another excellent video on Groove, this one is made specifically for House-Dance, but is very informative:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMJZknvRkqk&feature=g-u-u[/youtube]

Last edited by CobraKaiDojo on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:53 am 
Black Belt

Another House-Dance clip, this one showcases how House-dancers dance together with a girl. The clip is called "Stalking" which sounds a bit weird, in House it's less about contact and more about following each other's moves and matching vibes. That's another cool thing about learning specific styles, you then join the sub-culture of these dances and automatically have something in common with other practitioners (often sexy females)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umbjo5lKSsw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by CobraKaiDojo on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:00 am 
Black Belt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5OwKqhbp8E&feature=youtu.be

more House groove from the same guy.
Nice smooth little step to put in the repetoire.

Last edited by CobraKaiDojo on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hi,

Good ideal, pls try to keep posting. I like this topic very much and I will digged this one. Tks again.

Last edited by thu062012 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:02 pm 
Black Belt

Glad you're enjoying it, I will definitely post more Groove clips here as I find them (they're just so damn hard to find!)

Post subject: PHAT CLIP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:29 pm 
Black Belt

Oh man, I found a fucking MONEY clip.

There are 2 French dancers called Les Twins.
They are the BEST at "Newstyle" hiphop dancing.

If you can dance like them you will get laid, guaranteed.

This is footage from a workshop they did, they go through some drills which you should practice, then change it up a bit and make your own moves, but pay attention to their rhythm & speed control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9L6wFBqTq0&feature=youtu.be

Post subject: Re: PHAT CLIP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:47 pm 

DodgyStyle wrote:
Oh man, I found a fucking MONEY clip.

There are 2 French dancers called Les Twins.
They are the BEST at "Newstyle" hiphop dancing.

If you can dance like them you will get laid, guaranteed.

This is footage from a workshop they did, they go through some drills which you should practice, then change it up a bit and make your own moves, but pay attention to their rhythm & speed control.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9L6wFBqTq0&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

just fucking awesome, fucking strailia, sweet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:51 am 
Black Belt

I'm posting this clip in this thread, but it was originally posted by Quillard so credit goes to him.

How to: Dance like a boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANr3jvuH7xE

This expertly (and hilariously) explains the mechanics behind musicality.
Musicality is when you know a song so well, or are so into the music, that it looks like you're physically causing the music to happen by your movement, or vice-versa it looks like the music is causing you to move in a specific way.

Here is an extreme example of this (by Les Twins from France):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6OeNwrU5_8
There are no camera effects here... really listen to the song... all the different sounds, and watch the subtlety and isolation of the movements.
Insane.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

great links. Thanks for posting this!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:54 am 
Black Belt

I found an interesting youtube channel - one of the only ones I've seen teaching really basic Groove moves.
The problem is the guy is not that amazing so they moves tend to look average when he does them. But some of the moves he teaches are quite good for beginners to learn how to rock/sway/Groove.

You can make these moves look good with practice

http://www.youtube.com/user/HowToDanceF ... ture=watch