PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:28 am 
PUA Forum Leader

AOL: ctbinccp
Lately i have had a few people ask me how to develop and make DHV stories so i figured id post it as a guide her instead of going back and forth in PM's to them.

This is my stance on DHV stories...I ONLY use true material for DHV stories. Is my life really that intresting or over the top...not at all. Im not a celebrity or a rock star, but i have had a unique and intresting life now that i know how to gauge that.

The nice thing about how i do DHV stories is that you are using material that is true, that you know, and that you have an attachment to. You cannot get caught in a lie this way, nor contridict yourself. It comes accross genuine and more often then not they are stories you tell on a regular basis anyway.

Think of maybe 2-3 things that have happened to you in your life, they can be positive or negative events (as long as you have a positive ending to the story, like a moral or lesson learned). Share those stories with me, and i will help you elaborate on them to make them DHV material (try and keep each story to 1 paragraph, or 2 at the most). Remember that good story telling abilities are a DHV in and of themselves. Also while the core of your story should be true, the little details can be untrue (its not lieing its flirting )

I too have learned some tricks, a few magic tricks and a few cold reading tricks...i ONLY use these when convo dies or starts to go flat. I use conversational skills as the frame work and fill in gaps with routines.

Congruence will be there, emotion will be in your words. The idea here is to work on your story telling ability. Starting off with a few major stories and then eventually applying the know-how to every thing you say. Remember that Mystery says, say one intresting thing and people will say 'thats intresting'...say 10 intresting things and they will say 'hes intresting'.

Almost any response to a question should at some point be answered in the form of a story...youll get better at this with practise.

My favorite DHV stories are responses to common questions. Usually i will toss a C&F response to them first, then follow with a DHV.

Here is an example including my story...this is ALL true.

QUESTION: "Do you work/goto school/where do you work?"

AFC response: "I work in a warehouse as manager, i also do sub contracted computer work, and im looking to buy a buisness with a friend."

PUA response: "Im a retired trash picker." "Im a desposible lighter repair man" "im a proffessional trouble maker"....followed by AFC response maybe.

Better PUA response: C&F (maybe 2 times), then "Well its an intresting story...See i was kicked outta my house when i was 17. I started college and was working full time and by the time i was 19 i had opened a cell phone store with a buisness partner. It was awsome i had 2 apartments and a nice car and was living it up, but then...i wrecked my car and had to close the store...my partner came down with cancer. I went back to school and moved back in with my parents, but after a year they kicked me out again.

Forunatly my aunt and uncle let me stay with them and i made some new friends, my uncle has friends that go back like 40 years, i mean can you imagine. So they are all like lawyers and buisness owners and i got a job with one at his orthopedics warehouse as a manager. Another one i became real close friends with and we are looking to open a buisness together. The rest i do some computer work for. I hope soon to get back to where i left off and get to the point were i can start buying some real estate. I just cant stand the idea of working to make someone else money."

I know its a bit long, but im giving you the "short" version. I usually segment it, knowing that people will ask certain questions. Ill then elaborate on it with another segment of the DHV story and work towards the next fixed question.

For instance, just from the short parts i left out, im sure your wondering among other things:

-why i got kicked out
-what buisness i was in
-did the guy with cancer live
-how/why i wrecked my car
-what buiness im trying to get into

I assume that some if not all of these will be asked, and have DHV responses to them which are short but loop back into my story and let me continue.

This is just a simple response to a commonly asked question. Almost everyone asks you this question. You can make similar stories for all your experiences.

Also the way i like to do it is to respond to the environment. People talk about police/driving/licenses and i go into a DHV about how i lost my license, but what it has taught me. People talk about something social (like a club or bar they like) and i have a story about that.

The idea is that a common experience is bland, but with good story telling skills you can spice it up. The best part is the more down to earth the actual event the more likely they feel your story is true.

So take your experiences, analyze the questions people seem to ask you the most...take the memory thier questions evoke and make stories from them. before you know it you wont be able to shut up and everything comming out of your mouth will be intresting.

Also keep in mind that a big part of story telling is the delivery, slow down your words, say them clear and loud, and emote while you tell it. Also keep in mind that sometimes people will hook and sometimes they wont, if you get cut off to the point that you cannot instantly go back to your story then dont. When you have enough skills at story telling youll either be able to follow it with another story relavant to how you got cut off (say another perons story about something similar or different), or simply wont get cut off.

Hope this helps.

*******EDIT************EDIT***********EDIT********

First off I need to thank everyone whos contributed to this post, its because of you guys that it has become what it is.

I feel responsible to give back to this community the way it gave to me when I first joined, however to do that I need to have people follow the underlined rules.

There is something i need to address. Some people have been comming here and not following the flow of this topic. This post IS ONLY about getting help with DHV STORIES. If you want help with this i need to be clear about what i need from you guys to do this, as some people are not following the directions i posted.

1)Read at least my first post, the best thing to do would to be to read all the posts in this topic before asking for help/posting.

2)Post 1-2 PARAGRAPHS of your story the way you would VERBALLY tell it. I dont mind if you explain a bit or have some pertanent questions, but the body of the post should be your story.

3)Do use PARAGRAPHS, PUNCTUATION, and proper spelling when possible. This not only makes it easier for me to sort it out, but helps you organize your thoughts while writting it and later if you go back to it.

So from now on guys, i will ask a mod to delete posts that are not on topic (and will not respond to them), also i may chose to ignore posts that are run-on or do not use any paragraphs or puncuation. I intend on offering the highest quality help i can provide and i need people to follow some guidelines for me to achieve it, thanks for understanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:38 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Sick post! I was looking for something exactly like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:49 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

me and medic had a chat earlier could you give me some help

what kind of travel have you done?
Medic says to (22:37):
have you ever done any skydiving or SCUBA?
mii says (22:37):
ive done some scuba
where?
i traveled to the carribean a few times
im going on a crusise soon
for march break
ive been to the usa
where exactly, i've been to many of the islands
cuba and jamaica
Medic says to (22:38):
damn, i want to go to cuba
mii says (22:38):
going to bahmaous on cruise
its fun
bad, but it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon
did you dive in the bahamas
?
yeah americans cant go there can they
nope
embargos and crap like that
i dived in floruda
florida
Medic says to (22:39):
where miami? keys?
mii says (22:39):
orlando im going to miami on a stop on the cruise though
Medic says to (22:39):
dove in orlando?
mii says (22:40):
yeah
Medic says to (22:40):
hmm...see anything good?
mii says (22:41):
it was at the seaworld place this was like when i was 12 saw the dolphins and some weird fish
mii says (22:41):
just remembered i did dive in cuba asswell
Medic says to (22:42):
okay, what i'm getting at is like my dhv story when i was diving in mexico a couple of years ago and a 1- a barracuda was swimming through my bubbles 2- the first shark that i saw 3-when i ran out of air when the current kicked up
Medic says to (22:43):
3 different stories
mii says (22:43):
yeah
Medic says to (22:43):
think of something that you've done that few or none of the people that you know have done
Medic says to (22:44):
something out of the ordinary
mii says (22:44):
hmmm
mii says (22:44):
i flipped an atv
Medic says to (22:44):
make it an honest story because if you're fabricating crap, you won't remember it when you're telling it
Medic says to (22:45):
tell me about it
mii says (22:46):
it was my first time riding an atv this was at my friends cottage and we went on a track i was to follow a leader since i was new at first things went well but then i had trouble controllng crash
Medic says to (22:46):
okay
crashed into a tree and then flipped the atv and damaged it
Medic says to (22:46):
remember, women are emotional thinkers
and then the owner got very pissed off
Medic says to (22:47):
that story was good for you telling me
emotions, decriptions
what kind of day was it? how was the trail? what color was the atv? think of all that ***
know what i'm saying
Medic says to (22:48):
hit the high points, but women want to know this question "How did it make you feel?"
mii says (22:48):
it was a sunny summer day last weekend of the summmer labor day weekend the tralil was dirt in a forest
mii says (22:48):
the atv was black
Medic says to (22:48):
what i'm saying is that you don't need to tewll me, but keep all this stuff in mind when telling the story
Medic says to (22:49):
i'm sure that you've got an extra notebook for school
take 2 pages (just to make sure that you have enough room) for every story and make bullet points
and review them before you go out
that's what i do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:47 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

Wow mii lol thats alot...you didnt need to post the whole convo.

Essentially it sounds like you both have some scuba divein experience and should develop stories based on the different experiences you have had.

If youd like me to help you form the stories like the post said give me your version of the story in a paragraph or 2 and id be glad to help convert it into a DHv story. If you dunt want the story to be public PM me the examples.

Your convo with medic is intresting, and offers some insight..but the focus of this topic is to help people make DHV stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:36 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey how could I have better DHV about talking about my job Im an apprentice carpenter level 3 after i get my journeyman I plan on attending firefighting school

I don't like tossing out the firefighting cause i think it appears if i'm trying to hard cause its not something i've accomplished yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:25 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

Quote:
Hey how could I have better DHV about talking about my job Im an apprentice carpenter level 3 after i get my journeyman I plan on attending firefighting school

I don't like tossing out the firefighting cause i think it appears if i'm trying to hard cause its not something i've accomplished yet
Not at all Chief, when you mentioned that it struck a good chord with me...it shows ambition.

Why dont you tell me in a paragraph or 2 how you became a carpenter, and why you want to be a fireman...if need be ill help you transform that into a DHV story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:11 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

Great Job Ka, thats what i've really been working on.

My DHV/storytelling is amazing now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:21 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Maybe you can help me out too :)

I started out at a big electronic store (chain) as a computer salesmen, then became a technician because they were short staffed and I didnt feel comfterble in the selling of extended warrantys. Anyway I did the technician work for a bit and got really good at it (I knew my stuff before hand) and then throughout the process the guy who hired me to be a tech moved on to another company and knew somebody who was looking for a guy like me and referd me so I got the job Im at now. I currently work as a Level 1 technician for a pretty big enterprise down in the states but work out of Canada. Ive wanted to become a bartender for the longest while now and have prolonged the course for about 2-3 months and Im finally starting the course mid Feb and should be done early March. That being said I should have a 2nd nighttime job as a bartender mid March (or so I hope)

Can you help me? Thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:08 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

Quote:
Maybe you can help me out too :)

I started out at a big electronic store (chain) as a computer salesmen, then became a technician because they were short staffed and I didnt feel comfterble in the selling of extended warrantys. Anyway I did the technician work for a bit and got really good at it (I knew my stuff before hand) and then throughout the process the guy who hired me to be a tech moved on to another company and knew somebody who was looking for a guy like me and referd me so I got the job Im at now. I currently work as a Level 1 technician for a pretty big enterprise down in the states but work out of Canada. Ive wanted to become a bartender for the longest while now and have prolonged the course for about 2-3 months and Im finally starting the course mid Feb and should be done early March. That being said I should have a 2nd nighttime job as a bartender mid March (or so I hope)

Can you help me? Thanks :D
My Version:

Someone asks: "What do you do/where you work/etc/"

YOU: "Well its funny i never saw myself getting to where i am a few years back when i started. I took up a position at this Electronics store...we will leave the name out to protect the innocent ;-). Well i started there as a computer sales associate and was doing so well that my manager promoted me to a Technician. It just fit like a glove, it came to me naturally. Well my manager ended up leaving and reffered me to this big corporation in the US and i picked up a tech job there and its just been amazing. Its actually afforded me the chance to follow a long time ambition of mine...bartending. I just love socializing and working with people. So im starting class's in a bit and maybe youll see me at your favorite bar soon ;-)."

Hope this helps cheesecake, and PUA_Ace im glad i could help man. Keep working on it guys..its all storytelling, the material isnt as important as how you tell it.

**NOTE**

For those of you wondering how to transition from one story to the next, i can use the above story as an example. Alot of the times, with the method i use for doing DHV, someone will bring up a topic and ill have a story relative in some way to it.

So had i been talking to cheesecake and he started talking about being a computer slaes person, i woulda went into a thread about my job experience much like my story in my first post...except id highlight that i too was a sales person at circuit city. Id also later point out my intrest in becomming a bartender. Just from those to similarities me and Cheesecake would probably talk for hours.

In the field, use what other people say or do to lead into your stories. Alot of the time they will trigger a memory in you by thier words or actions...if they dont start up a topic of convo (create openers that you can use to lead to your sotries) then have something to say to guide them in the direction you want to go.

Also lastly remember that most of the time things a,b,c that you say do not have to be related...people naturally jump around from unrelated topic to unrelated topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:28 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

ive dropped out of 4 universities, how do i turn that into DHV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:13 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Thanks Ka :)

4 universities.. ? My personal question is after you dropped out of the first 2, how did you get accepted to the other 2 ? and Im sure you've done lots of other intresting things.. Built something, travelled somewhere (even the country side could be intresting to some girls and some like up there)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:59 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

Quote:
ive dropped out of 4 universities, how do i turn that into DHV?
First off you gotta be more confident man. Ive been in and out of college more times then i can count. Sometimes real life gets in the way, sometimes you need to make money...

Write 1-2 paragraphs descriping why you dropped out, what you did instead, and what you learned from the experience...then i can help form it into a DHV story.

Keep ya head up man, better times are comming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:02 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

thanks Ka

well, the absolute truth is, i wasn't working hard enough. i wouldnt attend classes and then i would just drop out halfway thru the year. i spent most of my time smoking up and popping pills. some good times sure, i guess i could demonstrate that i was too busy having fun. but no matter what spin i put on it i can't help but feel dropping out of 4 universities signifies a complete lack of drive, focus and ambition.. which surely is DLV...

and CHeesecake.. i don't know, never thought about it! they just want $tudents i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:06 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

Quote:
thanks Ka

well, the absolute truth is, i wasn't working hard enough. i wouldnt attend classes and then i would just drop out halfway thru the year. i spent most of my time smoking up and popping pills. some good times sure, i guess i could demonstrate that i was too busy having fun. but no matter what spin i put on it i can't help but feel dropping out of 4 universities signifies a complete lack of drive, focus and ambition.. which surely is DLV...

and CHeesecake.. i don't know, never thought about it! they just want $tudents i guess.
So what are you doing currently...are you back in school or working or what? what do you want to do/achieve?

Just a tad bit more info and we can turn it into a DHV...the biggest part of it is beleiving that something good came of it.

I list the 3 BEST things that have happened to me as;

-Being kicked out of my house twice
-Loseing my license
-Discovering PUA

Not what you expected huh? So just becase it seems bad or negative doesnt mean you cant find the positive side of it. Answer my questions and we should have enough info to make you a DHV story.

Also id suggest as a side note to work on inner game and confidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:28 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

currently.. well i just dropped out of #4 a couple of weeks back, looking for some work at the minute and just hitting the gym and trying to finally sort out my driver's license. believe it or not im considering trying uni again in september, this time completely drug free though hehe.

well ill probably go for a psychology course, or perhaps something in media. i wanna write for tv. i dont know about what i wana achiever i just wanna enjoy myself and have the peace of mind that a degree offers, to be honest.

and thanks man im working on the inner game, whats crazy is i always feel great about life etc when i start uni and im having fun then slowly i begin realising "shit, what am i doing? i havent been to class all semester" and spend the rest of the year depressed till summer rolls round

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ]